Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,875   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon EOS Rebel K2

I was thinking about purchasing this camera, because my local Circuit City has it one sale, it comes with a basic 28-80mm lense, I am wondering, are these any good? it's a newer SLR, Are they worth it? I like fully manual, but it's just getting to damn expensive to keep mine fixed, or get them all together.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Camera's ok, but if it's the standard canon lens I suggest you dump it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the EOS Rebel T2 (EOS 300x here), which I've heard is a similar rig. It's served me well for a year and a half. I got the 28-90mm lens with mine and a 50mm lens later, and it's been fine for my needs, but other people may be better informed in the world of optics. It's Good modern SLR with all the bells and whistles, it'll spoil you with options and things like automatic loading and the built in motor-drive. Despite it's Automatic Exposure options, in manual it offers a lot of creative control, bracketing settings and multiple exposures and such. It does feel rather fragile, but it's actually smaller than the Rangefinder I have. Convenient.
    There's a long story behind this; but mine survived a while in a freezer as well, so the electronics must be decent. It's a complete brick when your batteries die though.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm assuming (big mistake!) it's the 28-80 mm F/3.5-5.6 EMZ. I can't quote the figures, but it's been poorly rated by Amateur Photographer (UK magazine).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon's entry level EOS models are pretty good cameras from everything I've heard. I have an EOS Rebel 2000 that I used for several years. It wasn't abused or used very heavily during that time (it was a back-up camera) but it performed flawlessly. I gave it to my wife to use and she treated it pretty badly but it has survived and still works fine.

If the K2 design is anything like the 2000 model I have, there are only two things I didn't like about mine. It doesn't have the rear dial that other EOS models use and it has a mirror prism instead of a solid glass prism. The rear dial concept is ingenius, greatly improving function in my opinion. The mirror prism is not really a problem in most cases but the viewfinder is not as bright as it would be with a real prism.

Some have complained of the plastic lens mounts used on Rebel models but I used some heavy Canon lenses with mine without any damage. They may have changed it to metal on the K2. I don't know about the lens that comes with the camera. Most kit lenses in lower priced outfits are not noted to be outstanding but I doubt it would be unusable.

Shooter
    35mm
    So they really aren't any good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd seriously consider not getting a rebel. I have a Ti and regret buying it. I would consider going for a used A2 from Keh and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. An A2 in Ex condition would run in the $90 range and it's a much better camera. Heck, you could even go for Bargain at $50 and get a vertical grip with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was my first camera. Well, anything that is light tight will do for a camera, but you can get more bang for your buck on many other models. If you don't need autofocus, the market is flooded with very high quality manual bodies that are virtually indestructible. As an advanced do everything p&s the rebel is okay, but I'd look elsewhere for a serious camera.

-Anupam

Shooter
    35mm
    i guess it all depends on what you expect from it. i bought a rebel 2000 as my starter camera with the kit lens. it served me fine for general use. i also bought the 50mm 1.8 lens after reading up on various "canon user reviews". love the 50mm. it's so clear and i like the range you get to play with the depth of field. as a quick, all around travel lens i would use the kit lens and use the 50mm at home. for the extra price of the kit lens, i'd get it. you could sell of later or sell it with the camera body when you decide to upgrade the body later. that's just my two cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about the 50mm f/1.8, it's a great lens and spends a lot of time on my camera. But as has been said, if you don't need autofocus and those bells and whistles there are a lot of better cameras around, usually for a lot cheaper. I've retired my EOS for a Nikon FM2n, because I was worried about breaking it or having it pinched. Also it kept getting mistaken for a digital SLR :rolleyes:
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin