Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,697   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nikon FM3A....fully manual... will work at all shutter speeds without the batteries...so if you find yourself shooting in VERY cold weather....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dana44 View Post
    What is the best newer film SLR, and what lense should I get with it?.
    Nikon F6 with Nikkor 28-70 AF-S f2.8D. That should pretty much get you started.

I've also heard good things about the Pentax *ist film camera. In which case, I'd get the SMC-PFA 28-70 f2.8 lens.

The Canon EOS-1v with an EF 24-70 f2.8L or the EF 24-105 f4L lens sounds like a good combination, but I have never shot or held a Canon, so I wouldn't know.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-28-2007 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nikon F6

Nikon F100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I would recomment the Canon EOS series. An EOS 3 is a superb camera which is not bettered IMO by anything on the market except the very most expensive pro cameras such as EOS 1 V. You can pick up MINT Eos 3s for $300-350.....as for lenses pick your focal length. The Nikon f100 I am sure is another great bet for similar money, but a touch more I suspect.
    I agree- I got a mint one off ebay last year for this price range and I love it.
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Nikon FM3A....fully manual... will work at all shutter speeds without the batteries...so if you find yourself shooting in VERY cold weather....
    You can get a fully manual Pentax MX far cheaper, and it's also fully loaded with all the features (even has mirror lock-up once you learn the "trick"). Pentax put out some *superb* glass that you can put in front of this camera CHEAP!
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Minolta Maxxum 7. A beautiful camera with no further support. Has a wonderful viewfinder and access to simple but wonderful glass.

F100 since I am now shooting with Nikons.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on how much you want to spend, of course... and what you want to shoot.

I chose Nikon for a few reasons... excellent AF (arguably the best in the industry, parallel with Canon), and manual compatibility (the vast majority of the system will work on both AF and MF gear, so you can use manual Nikkors on AF bodies and AF Nikkors on manual bodies... a real boon if you want a mechanically-timed camera that doesn't require batteries, excellent in severe cold, and fun too ) ...

I have a huge system (this stuff is cheap), but my primary system is the Nikon F5 and the Nikon F100. Neither is expensive anymore. The F100 is probably the best bang for the buck in the Nikon line.

If you want a great body that isn't super-great at AF (but is still good) and is really cheap, look at the F90/F90x series (N90/N90s in the US). I just sold an F90 for around a hundred bucks - that's all you can get for them these days - but they are still excellent bodies. I still have an F90x because of the bang-for-the-buck factor, but I couldn't justify having two when I have the two cameras listed above.

Add an FM2n (or FM3a, if you can afford one) for severe weather photography and you're good to go.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are looking at Nikon, then the F4 (or F4S or F4E) will allow matrix metering of non-chipped (no electronic contacts) manual focus lenses. In fact, this particular Nikon body probably allows usage of the widest range of Nikon lenses over any other Nikon body. Prices on EBAY are all over the place, so I suggest looking at the selection at KEH, if you decide to get one.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon F3HP. Autofocus with the F4 is too slow and will disappoint. The F3HP is the ultimate manual focus camera made by Nikon. About $300. at KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a real bargain, you might still be able to find the Cosina/Voigtlander Bessamatic TM, which is the functional equivalent of the Pentax Spotmatic. Sure, it uses stop-down metering only, but it also allows you to build a stash of lens cheaply and quickly.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin