Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,147   Online: 876

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    If you are looking at Nikon, then the F4 (or F4S or F4E) will allow matrix metering of non-chipped (no electronic contacts) manual focus lenses. In fact, this particular Nikon body probably allows usage of the widest range of Nikon lenses over any other Nikon body. Prices on EBAY are all over the place, so I suggest looking at the selection at KEH, if you decide to get one.
    Agreed! I have a F4s and it is a great camera...quite heavy though. I also have a Minolta Maxxum 7. It is a very light camera but is full of handy features, and the viewfinder is excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm people? Not to rain on a nostalgia parade here, but I believe Dana asked for a "newer" (newer = latest) camera, not good deals on an "older" camera. I mean I love my three F4e's too, but if someone asks me for a newer camera, I'd recommend the F6. Hands down.

Anyway, back to the thread ...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you insist on shooting inch by inch and a half film - the Nikon N-80

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Ummm people? Not to rain on a nostalgia parade here, but I believe Dana asked for a "newer" (newer = latest) camera, not good deals on an "older" camera. I mean I love my three F4e's too, but if someone asks me for a newer camera, I'd recommend the F6. Hands down.

Even people who want a new camera have financial constraints. The F6 is the most expensive SLR you can buy... is it the best value?

I wouldn't refuse one if given to me, but I just bought an F5, so you can infer my answer to the value question.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I read the original post right, he wants an auto camera, but wants manual focus, which might leave out all the new Nikons and any EOS. Yes I know you can focus them manually, but they often don't have the right viewfinder screens to do it properly and might not have changeable screens. Plus why pay for auto focus when you don't want it.

That pretty much leaves you with Leica or something not brand new. On the latter, I have a lot of time for the Contax 167MT. It's light, fast, has less mirror/shutter shock than virtually any SLR I have ever met and takes some of the best lenses ever made.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft View Post
    If I read the original post right, he wants an auto camera, but wants manual focus, which might leave out all the new Nikons and any EOS. Yes I know you can focus them manually, but they often don't have the right viewfinder screens to do it properly and might not have changeable screens. Plus why pay for auto focus when you don't want it.

On that basis, what about the Nikon FM3A. They've only just stopped making it so there may even be new ones still in the distribution line if Dana44 is feeling rich. Choice of fully auto or manual exposure, manual focus – and you can hammer in your tent pegs with it should you forget the mallet.

Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anything in the Contax SLR line - I have also had 167MTs (a matched pair) and an RX. The RX is a terrific camera - center and spot meter, Aperture, Shutter, Manual and Program metering, and some of the very best glass for 35mm ever made available. It also has that nifty digital focus indicator in the viewfinder with the depth-of-field scale which is very helpful when figuring out hyperfocal distances. It has the ceramic film pressure plate of the RTS III, but without the added weight and bulk.

On the other hand, theRTS III was a terrific camera too. The vacuum film plane and the ttl spot meter for external strobes made it a wonderful studio camera.

If you want inexpensive and light, and have smaller hands, the Contax Aria is a nice option. It offered matrix metering in addition to spot and center. If you have large hands, it may be a bit too small for your comfort.

Shooter
    35mm
    The main problem I have is exposure control, I shoot portrait alot so I like to keep my Aperture opened up as possible, But I almost never get the friggin exposure right. Either under, or over exposed.

Or, I have this problem with cameras:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...01-24A_002.jpg

That ticked me off, Because I REALLY WANTED that picture to come out.. I am not sure if that's an error with the user (me) or the camera (Kalimar K-90, 80-200mm lense)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Nikon F6 with Nikkor 28-70 AF-S f2.8D. That should pretty much get you started.
    Art,
    I looked at that combo when I bought my F6, and I tesed that lens, the 35-70 F2.8 and the 24-85 F2.8-4. It wasn't overly scientific, but I mounted the camera on a tripod, mirror locked up, and shot a brick building across the street. In the window of the buiding was a sign with the store hours. Once I got the slides back, I ran them through my Leica projector and tried to read the opening hours sign.

The 24-85 was a clear winner for shaprness, I could read the sign in the shop window, whereas with the 28-70 I could barly tell there was something written there, and the 35-70's performance fell in the middle. It was a very noticable difference, so I bought the 24-85.

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dana,

Give us a bit more. How much are you willing to spend? Do you want new or used?

Asking me versus others will give you very different answers. What's of value to me is very different than most others here. I always go for the best and the latest top of the line equipment - but that's just me. Doesn't mean my images are better, most likely not, but with that said, I have no excuses for poor images but myself.

You can get a pretty good deal on a used Nikon N90 at KEH right now. Much less expensive than an F6 and a decent camera too.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-29-2007 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected the model from F90 to N90
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin