Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,466   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000 View Post
    A good lens is one that is free from abberations and distortion.
    No, that would be a perfect lens. And like most perfect things, this one doesn't exist either. All lenses have some degree of aberrations and distortion; in some cases these may even be introduced on purpose - q.v. fisheye lenses and portrait lenses.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some lenses that I would term good or favorite because they seem to me to be lucky. That is, regardless of their technical merits or not, I always seem to get great pictures with them when I use them.

Now I would be the first to admit this is not scientific and indeed not necessarily that rational - but, in real world situations this feeling does result in me reaching for these lenses. And as photography to me is more about the pictures that I produce than anything else this is quite an important feature of what I would call a 'good' lens.

As an example, I have a m42 Schneider 35mm f2.8 curtagon that I can see is not technically the best lenses but does seem to get the pictures and have a higher hit rate than other lenses in that focal length.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    No, that would be a perfect lens. And like most perfect things, this one doesn't exist either. All lenses have some degree of aberrations and distortion; in some cases these may even be introduced on purpose - q.v. fisheye lenses and portrait lenses.
    A good lens wouldn't turn a straight line into a curved rainbow. Unless you wanted that for an artistic effect.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good lens to me is one that I can afford that takes good pictures. As of yet I have not found any that would qualify as a bad lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To me a 'Good Lens' is acceptably sharp wide open, with decent contrast and colour. It's got low distortion, preferably barrel distortion rather than moustache or pincushion. The out of focus rendering is smooth and round. It's neither massive nor tiny, has a reasonably damped focus ring, a smooth and positive aperture ring and doesn't tend to come apart when it spends a week at the bottom of a bag.

By those standards, most of my lenses are good and a couple are bad. The exception to the rule is the Sigma 24/2.8 Superwide II, which is good by optical standards, but a little recalcitrant from a handling perspective.

I've owned a few 'bad' lenses. Still have 2 (Kenlock 135/2.8 screwmount, Soligor 35/2.8 screwmount) as they aren't worth getting rid of, and the Kenlock actually produces decent images as long as I'm willing to scan them, add contrast and sharpen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    One that allows me to achieve my vision......
    Exactly right. All lenses have unique capabilities. It's up to the photographer to match those capabilities with his vision. And like Ole said, you have to have that lens with you.....
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    For me, a good lens is the one that can cope with the specific situation I am photographing and can extract as much detail as possible from the elements in the frame. Obviously this is limited by the format, type of camera and especially....money.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good lens is one you don't notice in the photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good lens is like a good friend, you know it intimatly and exactly what to expect from it. It is the one lens you always want to use.
    Last edited by Rick A; 08-30-2013 at 05:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had this discussion repeatedly elsewhere where where would-be-experts tell people to buy L series lenses for their Canon cameras because they are the 'best'. When I enquire as to why they are best I get told things like 'they are tack sharp right up to the corners' (an actual response I got). My point was - if you look at your photographs and think they are not good enough because they are not 'tack sharp' in the corners, then you need a Canon L series lens. Personally, I have never thought that.

I don't worry about lenses too much - I am not overly bothered by technology at all - but I sell more pictures taken with a fifty-odd year old Tessar than I do taken with my expensive modern (not L series!) lenses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin