Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,155   Online: 795

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Meaning of "GOOD LENS"

In attempt to classify lenses word “sharpness” is the most frequent, meaning “very sharp lens” is very good lens.

Even and Zeiss advertise their ZF lenses, beside high resolution slogan, as "sharpest lenses ..." so it turns that lens vague term "sharpness" is to many the most important think in classifying lenses.

"Good lens" to me means a lens that consistently producing an image that coincides with my photographic requirement.

As photographic requirement (standard) are different to different people, so and the same lens can be good to one and not good to another. In that way and Leica is not the best manufacturer of photo lenses, but just a manufacturer among other.

What “GOOD LENS” means to you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    What “GOOD LENS” means to you?
    Technically, to me, it first means accurate focusing, high resolution, without too much distortion and/or light falloff on corners, etc. Secondly the weight, the size, and the cosmetics matter. And I like and I like to shoot with a 50mm lens for 35mm film in general because you can't really go wrong with it. It's a good lens of all time for me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One that allows me to achieve my vision. That mean the lens could be a total piece of crap regarding focus, resolution, distortion, or "sharpness."

Shooter
    35mm
    A good lens to me is a fast lens (maximum apperture of 2.8 or below), it can be a zoom or a prime lens but must be sharp at most one stop down from maximum apperture. I don't mind light fall-off in the corners since it provides a natural vignette, distortion doesn't bother me either, just as long as it's fast focusing and doesn't hunt much in AF.

I find this mostly in prime lenses like the Sigma 20mm 1.8, Canon 35mm F2, 50mm 1.8 and lastly 85mm 1.8.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good lens to me means a Sumicron 50/2 which I cannot afford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good lens takes good pictures. A bad lens takes bad pictures. Most of my lenses bounce back and forth between these categories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    A good lens takes good pictures. A bad lens takes bad pictures. Most of my lenses bounce back and forth between these categories.
    No. You take good or bad pictures A good lens allows you to do what you want whether it is making soft portraits, ultrasharp landscapes or use flare, bokeh, vigneting or pseudo zoom effects to achieve a certain feeling/mood in your images. A fisheye is bad for traditional portraits, a slow lens is bad for low light street shooting etc eh? but that doesn't make them bad lenses altogether but its true a good lens to me is the one that lets me capture the mood I want a bad lens, whether its a Leitz or Sigma, doesn't. Second, a good lens is the one I have in my bag, a bad lens is the one thats always sitting on the shelf back home when Im out shooting no matter the reason e.g weight.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Last edited by Soeren; 02-02-2007 at 07:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A good lens is one I have with me, and that gives me the angle of view I want for a particular scene. Everything else is up to me, not the lens.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A good lens is one that is free from abberations and distortion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    A good lens is one I have with me, and that gives me the angle of view I want for a particular scene. Everything else is up to me, not the lens.
    YES!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin