Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,347   Online: 763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can anyone recommend the best 35mm lens? I'll be buying used, thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The best is reputed to be the current model Summicron; the next best the previous model. As a screw-mount Leica user (IIIa & IIIf) I don't have experiance --or funds :-)-- for either, but I've had a V/C f1.7 Ultron for about a year and its also VERY good (and only about $400 new).

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ross,
    I’ve only used two 35 mm lenses on my M6, the f2 from one generation back and a 40+ year-old Summaron (?) f3.5. The latter I regard as a period piece, for collectors, or to use when an “old look” is desired. I would say there is probably not a “best” lens, just a variety of good options.

The Summicron is the main lens on my M6. I use it a lot, and it’s a great lens. At f stops below about f 4 it is probably the equal of the most up-to-the-minute asph. lens, ie. very, very good. I would not spend the extra $ for a lens faster than f2. It’s not worth the money—to me—and the lens is usually bigger and heavier, but perhaps not for the asph models. Face it, all Leica lenses are great, so you can’t go wrong. It’s just a matter of fine tuning your choice to your individual needs and deciding how much value the extra cost of the asph lens is worth to you.
    Cheers,
    Joe Stephenson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good info, thanks guys. I currently have a 28mm elmarit m and it's great!

i USE A 35MM F2 ASPH SUMMICRON MOUNTED ON A M6TTL BOTH TWO YEARS OLD AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT THE THIS LENS IS SUPERB.

I shoot mainly monochrome and colour transparencies , when the trannys are projected they literally jump out of the screen and bite you with their sharpness and colour saturation.
    the lens is not cheap but well worth the cost if you can save up for it like I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ross,

I ditto baronfoxx's recommendation of the f/1.4 ASPH. I had one and used it very sucessfully down to 1/8 second wide open hand held with good results. Like a dummy I sold it, and now it's on the "replacement" list.

Thanks!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve Hamley @ Oct 2 2002, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Ross,

I ditto baronfoxx&#39;s recommendation of the f/1.4 ASPH. I had one and used it very sucessfully down to 1/8 second wide open hand held with good results. Like a dummy I sold it, and now it&#39;s on the &quot;replacement&quot; list.

Thanks&#33;

Steve</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    cool thanks

I also recommend and use the 35 1.4 summilux and have found the optical RESULT (I won't argue formulas) vary with age of the lens. I have new lenses like my summilux and summicrons, both 50mm and 35mm that are 40 years old that definately have more of what I can render as the "Leica glow" as opposed to their newer models which, IMO, are sharper but not neccesarily better. Buying used is a very good idea and there are several dealors around who are of high quality and will give you a good deal.
    John L. Webb

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the 35mm Summicron ASPH. I'm very happy with it. I use it on an M7 with a .72 view finder. I find the frame lines to be perfect (almost fills the view finder, but leaves some room on the side). The prints are sharp, and the contrast is nice. I can't comment on color balance or that stuff as I don't shoot color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin