Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,670   Online: 714

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I hope you were not out last night trying to snap the moon. I woke up this morning and it was -15F. A tad chilly for photography.
    No, but I did have to walk the dog. We go about 1.5 miles. Luckily I was dressed well enough. The only problem was that my eyelids keep sticky together when I blinked.

Regarding all the advice, I appreciate it an will look into it a little more. Thanks folks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. In beautiful Fond du Lac Wisconsin, you can easily take a scenic shot that contains the full moon with the 135mm telephoto lens that you have.

2. If you want to capture a full-frame shot of the full moon with your FM2n, then a 1000mm mirror lens with a 2x teleconverter mounted on a sturdy tripod is a good way to do it.

3. In a full-frame shot of the moon, please keep in mind that the side lighting of a quarter moon or the indirect lighting of a gibbous moon or a crescent moon shows much more crater and surface detail than the flat direct lighting of a full moon.

4. If you and your daughter just want to view the moon, binoculars (such as the Nikon 10x50 Action Extreme) are very useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    1. In beautiful Fond du Lac Wisconsin, you can easily take a scenic shot that contains the full moon with the 135mm telephoto lens that you have.
    I do that quite regularly.

4. If you and your daughter just want to view the moon, binoculars (such as the Nikon 10x50 Action Extreme) are very useful.
    That was my experience as a child. On a camping trip, my uncle once brought a nice binocular along. Looking through them was much more fun than using any of the really cheap telescopes that I tried.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Peter,

I think the cheapest way is to buy a Tamron Adaptall 8/500mm mirror tele lens. You can get one from Keh in excellent condition for $109 or in ugly condition for $39. I just bought one in ugly condition. There's a little bit of separation on the edge, but that doesn't affect the pictures. For the price, it's a great project lens! Just add the Adaptall ring ($13 bargain) and a Tamron doubler ($37 exc./$8 ugly) and you're all set to portrait the moon.

Another lead, although over your budget, is the Russian MTO-11CA 10/1000 mirror lens. It is approx. twice as fast as the Tamron with a doubler (f/10 instead of f/20) and the image quality is good. Check eBay or online shops like Rugift.com; brand new in Nikon mount, it goes for about $350.

Cheers,

Abbazz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Abbazz,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin