Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,592   Online: 1201

Thread: TTL flash

Shooter
    35mm

TTL flash

I was finally about to put my Agfatronic 643 CS dialog to use to it's full extent, and then it died. now I'm looking for another affordable (read: cheap) flash. What i liked about mine:

- LCD
    - with diffuser, goes up to 24mm
    - TTL
    - very powerfull, fast charging time
    - secondary fill-in flash

how are the AGFATRONIC 343 and related? I can't find a 643 on european ebay right now. they don't have an LCD window, that's OK, but I think they only go up to 28mm wide.

what I didnt like: the photos taken with this flash were much more contrasty then my other flash, a classic one I used with bounce flash and sto-fen omnibounce. are there affordable, powerful TTL flashes I can put a diffuser on, and have a secondary fill-in flash?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 383csi is basically half the power of the 643. It lacks the LCD OTOH I don't think you need it with TTL. With 35mm the 643 is severe over kill when it comes to power. The smaller 383 is much better match. Unless you like shooting 25ISO film in the middle of a stadium. The 383 has a built in wide angle diffuser with the wink light.

You might want to look for a Metz 45-CT4 or 45-CL4. Will be more money then the AGFA 383.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The 383csi is basically half the power of the 643. It lacks the LCD OTOH I don't think you need it with TTL. With 35mm the 643 is severe over kill when it comes to power. The smaller 383 is much better match. Unless you like shooting 25ISO film in the middle of a stadium. The 383 has a built in wide angle diffuser with the wink light.

You might want to look for a Metz 45-CT4 or 45-CL4. Will be more money then the AGFA 383.
    thanks for the feedback. well, TTL is quite desired. flash output with my non-TTL flash here was quite poor compared to the TTL agfatronic.

I can't find a lot of info on the 383 though, neither do I spot any on ebay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa hasn't made flashes in quite awhile.

The 383csi has a guide number of 38metres. 4 AA batteries. Takes Metz SCA300 modules. Relatively light and small. Mounts on the side of the camera.

They show up on Ebay every so often. Either sell for very little or for a lot. Nothing in between.

Shooter
    35mm
    what are those modules exactly?

I see TTL agfatronics get sold with just an X-sync. mine came with an SCA 343 cable, so i'm glad i've already got that. i'll bid on a 343 I guess...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need a module that matches the camera. The module will end up costing more then the flash. Good thing is Metz is still making and updating them.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...apter.143.html

If you have an older camera you might have to search the Metz website for the older document.

Most of the handle mount flashes need a connecting cable to match the module. So that's more money.

If you want TTL you must have the module. The x sync won't give you TTL. Just auto or manual mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, after I got my 343CS from a seller on eBay.de I got the Nikon module and SCA 300 cable for pennies from www.keh.com. After getting the parts, I found that the flash was a dud, TTL doesn't work on it. But my 643CS (bought via eBay.com) works just fine.

I later got the amplifier (for running two flashes TTL) and additional cables via eBay.com, again for very little. Still have to get a second flash with working TTL.

Look for modules etc. on eBay and be patient.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin