Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,926   Online: 879

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    George Lepp once gave a lucid explanation for the use of teleconverters. His explanation was that with a 2X teleconverter, under ideal conditions, you might suffer a 20% loss in quality. Without the teleconverter you would lose 50% because you would have to enlarge more. Decent teleconverters were made in M42 mount but you have to be patient in finding them. Komura made a 7 element 2X. For macro use the Panagor Auto Macro Converter, with fewer than 7 elements, is also very good. I think there was a Soligor 7 element 2X as well. M42 mount lenses are so low in price now that it might only make sense to use a 2X with a very long lens.

Shooter
    35mm

There is one such

Typically found under the Vivitar brand, the 7-elements in 4 groups, multicoated, 2x, macro teleconverter stands above the rest. I believe, from all my research, that it was originally made by Kiron, a company that made a lot of good Vivitar equipment, but which started selling under its own brand when Vivitar started outsourcing to third parties with lesser quality design and control.

The adapter might be found under other brands, but the 7-element design with a helical macro adjustment is a clue that this is the correct model.

The problem is finding it in your specific mount. I have used it successfully in Pentax K-mount, but it took years of haunting the auction site to find it.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, guys, I'll keep on the lookout for them.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Vivitar 2x Macro converter is a later item that I don't believe was ever available in M42 mount.

As to Vivitar/Kiron. Vivitar always sourced from multiple maqnufacturers, they did a lot with Kiron in the 70's before Kiron decided to concentrate on sales under their own brand. Vivitar's quality issues started in the mid/late 80's with the beginning of the AF era, and their work with Cosina.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin