Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,862   Online: 967

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Test Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew West View Post
    I've been considering it for a long time, and finally I've decided to just go ahead with it.

Now, if you're still with me, I'd like to say thanks in advance for all the help and for sticking with film. Of course, it isn't as if we have a viable alternative.
    How about a true test drive Andrew? Then you could decide for yourself? I don't have an F5, but you are welcome (in the spirit of APUG) to borrow my F4s and decide if it is a camera you like. Maybe someone will offer an F5 for a test as well. I am not offering it for sale. I like it. I have this and 3 F100s, 3 Minolta X series and the two ancient but well working Mamiyas. I would not miss the F4s if it were not available for a couple of weeks or even as long as a month. Let me know if this interests you.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F4 is the finest tripod SLR hands down. I shot stock with F4s for a long time, nearly always on a tripod. The meter is excellent (not the stunning color meter of thhe F5), the backward compatability with older nikon glass is excellent (about the same as the F5 I suppose), but it is in ergonomics that the F4 wins hands down. All the controls are traditional dials, the cable release can be a regular old threaded one, the camera doesn't need to be woken up to see what your settings are- the exposure compensation is a real dial with numbers you can read, just like the shutter speed. I always hated the F100 for the lack of readouts without tapping the darn shutter release over and over again. Plus the readout always went out between the time I made one exposure and went to set the exposure compensation for the next image. If you can handle both of them do so, but if not I'd steer you toward the F4 if you hhave any thoughts of using a tripod with this purchase. If you're going to be doing a lot of flash, the F5 might be the tool for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was little weary posting here at first, but I'm happy I did. It would seem that there is a genuine desire to help strangers here and I truly appreciate all the replies.

I also appreciate the recommendations and advice as far as MF is concerned. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this thread at some point in the near future, depending on how much of a craftsman I turn out to be. I have two, nonworking Minolta bodies and I'd like to see if I can salvage a working camera out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by unohuu View Post
    How about a true test drive Andrew? Then you could decide for yourself? I don't have an F5, but you are welcome (in the spirit of APUG) to borrow my F4s and decide if it is a camera you like. Maybe someone will offer an F5 for a test as well. I am not offering it for sale. I like it. I have this and 3 F100s, 3 Minolta X series and the two ancient but well working Mamiyas. I would not miss the F4s if it were not available for a couple of weeks or even as long as a month. Let me know if this interests you.

Luke
    That's an incredibly generous offer and it definitely interests me, but I couldn't ask that of you. I ordered an F5 from KEH.com that should get here sometime Monday. I figure, if it's what I'm looking for: I'll know. If it's not, I'll return it and continue down the list of possibilities (KEH seems to have a wonderful selection for such a thing). I just wanted to say that the offer itself is much obliging.

The fact of it is, the camera comes in a distant third after the photographer, film, and development in terms of importance to the photograph. Or, this is my humble opinion of it. Either way, I'll keep posting; even if it requires I use a computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was little weary posting here at first, but I'm happy I did.
    Weary (tired, fatigued) or wary (cautious, careful)?

I think you'll be very satisfied with the F5. I sure like mine, and I haven't had it very long.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Weary (tired, fatigued) or wary (cautious, careful)?

I think you'll be very satisfied with the F5. I sure like mine, and I haven't had it very long.
    Probably a little bit of both at three in the A.M. Thanks for the assurance and the clearly needed proofreading.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Andrew, the offer still stands...you will already have an F5 to compare against the F4s. Would not have offered if it would have been an imposition. These are the kind of folks here on APUG. The F4s was the first AF Nikon I owned and I will always treasure it, but it won't keep pace with the F100s. Again, though I can use all those delightful ai lenses with the F4s. Your decision either way.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was little weary posting here at first, but I'm happy I did. It would seem that there is a genuine desire to help strangers here and I truly appreciate all the replies.

I also appreciate the recommendations and advice as far as MF is concerned. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this thread at some point in the near future, depending on how much of a craftsman I turn out to be. I have two, nonworking Minolta bodies and I'd like to see if I can salvage a working camera out of them.

That's an incredibly generous offer and it definitely interests me, but I couldn't ask that of you. I ordered an F5 from KEH.com that should get here sometime Monday. I figure, if it's what I'm looking for: I'll know. If it's not, I'll return it and continue down the list of possibilities (KEH seems to have a wonderful selection for such a thing). I just wanted to say that the offer itself is much obliging.

The fact of it is, the camera comes in a distant third after the photographer, film, and development in terms of importance to the photograph. Or, this is my humble opinion of it. Either way, I'll keep posting; even if it requires I use a computer.
    Andrew,

Best of all, you ordered from KEH. They are really good folk and under-rate their gear so you'll likely be happily surprised how good the condition is!

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't read the entire thread, but FWIW, I have three Nikon F4's - two F4e's and one F4s. I've had all three since university or thereabouts. I love them. Just took one out lately for a nostalgic joy ride as I haven't really touched them since I bought my Hasey, Nikon D1X and D2X. All the cameras have MF-23 backs and I have four SB-24's and two SB-26's for them. I only have very fast AF-S lenses and I don't find the reports of slow focusing a problem with these lenses.

I've never owned an F5, so I can't compare. I'm sure it's a great camera too. One issue I do know is the rubber armour of the F5, like all the later Nikons - the D1's and D2's as well - have a tendency to fall off after a while. So I've heard.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    It has arrived and, I'm happy to say, in perfect condition. It definitely feels sturdy ("built like a tank" as it has been claimed) , but I wouldn't describe it as overly heavy. Unfortunately, I can't comment much beyond that as I haven't had the chance to take it on a real test drive but I intend to do that within the week (new film is in the 'fridge). The only problem I have right now is the lack of a paper manual (or cheat sheet). Is there any way I can order the manual (not an eBook of the thing) without running through the gauntlet that is eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by unohuu View Post
    Andrew, the offer still stands...you will already have an F5 to compare against the F4s. Would not have offered if it would have been an imposition. These are the kind of folks here on APUG. The F4s was the first AF Nikon I owned and I will always treasure it, but it won't keep pace with the F100s. Again, though I can use all those delightful ai lenses with the F4s. Your decision either way.
    It's much appreciated, and I really would like to. Possibly, once I've familiarized myself better with the F5, I'll see if there's anything I can send as collateral. All I can think of at the moment is a few Minolta lenses I've saved for the day I have a working camera on which to mount them but that really isn't much in way of insurance.

I much appreciate all the help and feedback. I'll have to subscribe once I have those test shots; the gallery is a brilliant idea, I do believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew,

Go to http://www.Nikonians.org best resource for Nikon owners on the web.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin