Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,036   Online: 1054

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

In your back yard

Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    Anyone brought their film cameras (Nikon F-series and Canon 1 and 3 series) out in anywhere from -5 to -28 celsius winter with a relatively light snow storm before and survived? I'm thinking of doing some late Winter shooting, and the weather here has been really unpredictable. We had 3 and half days of sudden non-stop snow, and then light ice-rain for the next 2 days.
    Just got back from BC - used my trusty F100 in -20C with no problem. I was afraid the film would crack and the rewind was slow, but no problems there. I am using the same set of lithiun ion AA's I had in there two years ago the first time I took the camera into snow and cold.

I've also taken a Hassie SWC into deep snow/cold. Not as fun I assure you!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well I've had a camera inside my walking jacket and in a slip case so wet I needed to remove the film and post it to kodak. The camera needed a gentle shake, after pouring out, a Rolli 35t has a galvanometer, and leaving on top of a radiator without the battery overnight. In the morning it was still raining cats and dogs, this was Skye and it can rain on Skye...

It was a magic holiday
    Noel

P.S. I was well wet as well as the camera, Skye is not for the sugar or salt

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I took my EOS 3 out in the winter weather (-28 degrees celsius with a really strong windchill so I figured the temperature was around -30 to -32 degrees celsius). There was a strong wind and snow was being blown up around me. I managed to use the camera outdoors for approx. 40 minutes before the low battery signal started showing. I shot 3 to 4 rolls of film before it got too cold for me, and I had to go indoors for shelter.

The camera's stop was wet with moisture and melted snow, and the LCD light came up slow the whole time. I changed film under the protection of my jacket whenever possible, and kept all my film inside my jacket for fear that the emulsion might crack due to the low temperature. Once I got indoors, I left my camera next to a heater for an hour with the film chamber open, and after that the camera was fully functioning and everything looks good. The low battery signal was gone, and the camera's still working, which I guess is good.

Any idea how cold it gets before 35mm film emulsions get too brittle and crack?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin