Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,706   Online: 851

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paul: As far as I'm aware Sigma tried to do that, and got shot down by Canon (despite the fact that their bodies were crap compared to the equivalent Canon bodies).

There's a reason why SA Mount is electronically compatible with EF mount. It's not physically compatible due to Canon's refusal to license the mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Paul: As far as I'm aware Sigma tried to do that, and got shot down by Canon (despite the fact that their bodies were crap compared to the equivalent Canon bodies).

There's a reason why SA Mount is electronically compatible with EF mount. It's not physically compatible due to Canon's refusal to license the mount.
    In light of the new ecomonics things may change. My hunch is that asSigma competes with Cannon and Nikon in terms of lens Cannon may have an issue spefic with Sigma, but as Cosina is not primarly a lens maker it may not be as much of an issue. All of this is just speculation on my part, if I could make such a forcast I would be rich. By the way I have a Sigma SA 7 and 9, good cameras for the money, but not up to Nikon or Canon quaility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may be wrong but I thought Cosina built a digital body based on their Voigtlander R-series film body. It was rebadged for Epson or HP or some other computer/printer company, if my faulty memory is working somewhat. That would tend to indicate that Cosina could build an electronic-based film camera body like an EOS.

Correct me if I'm having delusions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh well, I'm not surprised at this since Canon announced back in 2006 that they're halting development of new film SLRs to focus on resources on their digital models. Nikon had basically ditched all their film SLRs except for the F6 and another model many months ago.

The main reason? Super high megapixel P&S cameras and ultra-cheap DSLRs with kit lenses being so affordable. Almost everyone looks at me weird whenever I pull out my "old" film SLR, even when I can achieve focus at a faster speed than their digital P&S cameras in low-light situations.:rolleyes:

I'm sad to say this, but film shooters are a dying breed, and I don't think the next generation will get to enjoy shooting film at the rate that film and analog camera companies are abandoning the market. I'm so glad I managed to snag a really mint EOS 3 a while ago, and I hope it'll continue working and I can buy my favourite color and B&W 35mm film for the next 5 to 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    http://www.canon.com.hk/En/Consumer/...px?series_id=1

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/consumer/....aspx?cat_id=2

As above all but the 1V camera (and some point and shoots) are listed as discontinued in Hong Kong. Though other Canon sites still list all 35mms on their sites, I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the world does the same. It seems like Canon is doing the same as Nikon leaving only their best 35mm available. I wonder why the 1V has not gone down in price since its been released. Its interesting because a lot of the lower end 35mm are made in China if I recall, and Canon HK seems to be the site for new info before others announce it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What do you think of an hypothetical SLR camera based on Dynax 7 with an interchangeable mount : nikon F, minolta AF, screw mount 42. All on demand, and mounted in factory?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin