Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,389   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon HK discontinues most 35mm cameras

http://www.canon.com.hk/En/Consumer/...px?series_id=1

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/consumer/....aspx?cat_id=2

As above all but the 1V camera (and some point and shoots) are listed as discontinued in Hong Kong. Though other Canon sites still list all 35mms on their sites, I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the world does the same. It seems like Canon is doing the same as Nikon leaving only their best 35mm available. I wonder why the 1V has not gone down in price since its been released. Its interesting because a lot of the lower end 35mm are made in China if I recall, and Canon HK seems to be the site for new info before others announce it.
    Last edited by braxus; 02-14-2007 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is unfortunate, but my guess is that manufacture has stopped some time ago, and the cameras are considered current until stocks are depleted. Inventories will vary by market. Some vendors for Nikon are still showing the F100 new, but of course this hasn't been made in a few years. The top-end Canon has some parts shared with the digital Canons, thus may continue longer. Sad thing, though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Time to buy up Nikon F6 bodies while you can.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Time to buy up Nikon F6 bodies while you can.
    Or indeed sell them while you can...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers,

R. (original 'F' user)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not long ago, I was musing about film cameras and how new ones are unlikely to appear as current ones rapidly disappear. While it's sad and disturbing, it's logical.

When so many people embraced digital, they often sold off all or, at least, a portion of their film bodies. That has led to a huge supply of excellent film cameras on the used market. There's not much of an incentive to buy a new film body when you can get one in nearly new condition for a fraction of the new price. That, in turn, further reduces the demand for new film cameras which leads to manufacturers discontinuing models and limiting selection even further.

I really don't know how much longer camera manufacturers can continue to build film bodies. I suspect we'll have film for a long time to come but I doubt we'll ever again have a very big selection of brand new cameras in which to use it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It appears that rangefinders are still doing o.k. with a new model on the horizon from C.Voigtlander and Zeiss and Leica of course with their current range. However I took delivery of a new Leica M6 last week so I won't be needing a new film camera for another 20 or 30 years.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Not long ago, I was musing about film cameras and how new ones are unlikely to appear as current ones rapidly disappear. While it's sad and disturbing, it's logical.

When so many people embraced digital, they often sold off all or, at least, a portion of their film bodies. That has led to a huge supply of excellent film cameras on the used market. There's not much of an incentive to buy a new film body when you can get one in nearly new condition for a fraction of the new price. That, in turn, further reduces the demand for new film cameras which leads to manufacturers discontinuing models and limiting selection even further.

I really don't know how much longer camera manufacturers can continue to build film bodies. I suspect we'll have film for a long time to come but I doubt we'll ever again have a very big selection of brand new cameras in which to use it.

My guess is that once the supply of used equipment dries up and there is demand for 35 SLR companies like Cosina will fill the void. Cosina makes a 42mm SM bodie, just add a Nikon or Cannon Mount. Building a AF may be fesiable as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cosina is apparently owned and/or run by a camera enthusiast unlike Nikon, Canon and whoever owns controlling interest in Leica this week. Until the bean counters take over, I think Cosina might keep building film-based cameras into the future. We need more people running businesses who care about the products as well as the bottom line.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cosina also makes the Nikon FM10, one of the two Nikon bodies still listed.

An EOS mount body is less likely, Cosina specializes in mechanical bodies, not pure-electronic systems like EF/EOS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Cosina also makes the Nikon FM10, one of the two Nikon bodies still listed.

An EOS mount body is less likely, Cosina specializes in mechanical bodies, not pure-electronic systems like EF/EOS.
    Cosina or another maker can build under license. Buy Cannon electroics for their bodies. It's all in the size of the Market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin