Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,021   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think 20mm is a great focal length and I shoot there a lot.

I wonder, though, if you should get a 24 first. 24 is much wider than a 28, but not with ridiculous dramatics. It's harder to get a normal-appearing image with a 20 - it takes a little more practice and experience. It's much easier with a 24. I also find that a 24 is a much more useful lens to me than a 28.

Some might argue that 24 is too close to 28 but it is a very noticeable change. Also, if you end up loving the 24, as I think you will, and get a 20 later, you'll still find the 24 is a good one-lens solution when you need to pack lightly. It won't be wasted money. 24s are also cheap so if you find that you've gone too wide, you haven't spent a lot to find it out.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, missed two of your points.

Do I use it a lot? Quite a bit. I sold my 20-35 and got a 17-35. That is probably pretty informative.

Can it go to 11x14? If you get a good one, yes, and particularly if you use a tripod and shoot at middle apertures. I have some 11x14s shot with my very wide lenses and they are very sharp when I paid attention to technique.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    20mm is my favorite focal length for 35mm shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use normal to wide angle lenses more than long lenses. I usually prefer a moderately wide lens--35mm, 28mm, 24mm in 35mm format. I have a 21mm for my Leicas and a 20-35mm zoom for the Canons but I don't use them that often. I also have a 35mm for the 645 Pentaxes but use a 45mm more. Still, I wouldn't want to be without a lens in the 20/21mm range. If you now use a 28mm, more than likely you'll have a lot of use for a 20mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 20mm Nikon, though it is something more for occaissional usage. When it comes in really handy is for interior shots, or when wanting to capture a wide scene from across a street. The other fun thing is that you can hold the camera at arms length pointed back at you, and get yourself and some friends in the image. A 20mm can also be fun for across the table shots. Things to avoid are getting your feet in the shot, or distracting elements at the edge of the frame.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 20mm is my favourite lens, and occaisionally I rent a Nikkor 15mm (the tulip lens) for even more fun.

In larger prints when viewed close up, the wide-angle persective does not seem so extreme.

Shooter
    35mm
    Currently I have a NFD 20mm F2.8 on my Canon New F1, and I like it. I got rid of a NFD 17mm F4 for that because I'm more focusing on taking pictures of people, and I find the 20mm is the widest that I can handle well.

The 17mm was good for some nature landscape shots, but never so on any human subject. The lens itself had a lot of problems/defects in its quality to begin with.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 20mm equivs on all cameras I own. My 35mm, 6x7, 4x5, 8x10, 4x10, and even my 12x20. I would die without them.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I have 20mm equivs on all cameras I own. My 35mm, 6x7, 4x5, 8x10, 4x10, and even my 12x20. I would die without them.:o
    Well, I like my 20mm - 35mm Zoom, but I would not go quiet that far!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Currently I have a NFD 20mm F2.8 on my Canon New F1, and I like it. I got rid of a NFD 17mm F4 for that because I'm more focusing on taking pictures of people, and I find the 20mm is the widest that I can handle well.

The 17mm was good for some nature landscape shots, but never so on any human subject. The lens itself had a lot of problems/defects in its quality to begin with.
    What's your impressions of the FD 20? How's the corners?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin