Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,449   Online: 707

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Any Good Camera Strap Suggestions?

This may sound dumb, but I have to ask. Does anyone know of any good camera strap manufacturers out there? I really never paid too much attention to straps in the past, but as I purchase newer and heavier lenses I would hate to see my gear fall to the ground due to a flimsy strap.

I recently went to a couple of local camera stores to purchase a strap for my F100. I plan to use it with the battery pack attatched and a Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 lens. I mistakingly thought all straps were created equal. I ended up buying a camera store brand strap with a detatchable design (has two clips that you squeeze when you want to release the strap from the camera). It seems that all new straps come with these detatchable clips. I don't trust them, especially with heavy camera equipment. It also appears that newer straps are thinner, especially the part that loops into the strap hinges on the camera body. Also, I have not seen any strap manufacturers that provide information on maximum weight for a strap.

I am planning on buying some older Nikkor manual focus lenses in the near future to use with my F2A with winder. The combination will be very heavy. Any suggestions (other than not using a strap at all)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a fan of the Domke camera straps because they have no-slip compound woven into the fabric, they are also overengineered.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Tamrac N-17 - black, of course - (http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=10060) for several of my cameras including a F-3 with MD-4 and 80-200 zoom lens. They ahve no-slip woven in also. Sometimes I even have my 4-year-old son hanging from the strap too (unintentional, or course); teh strap has never even threatened to come apart. As time goes on I imageine that the plastic mightt become brittle and the risk of breaking increase... but for about $20 I can easily replace the strap when I feel it is time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I do really need a very, very, good strap, then a buy a leather camera strap from Hasselblad and I have it modified by a good shoe-maker/ leather craftsman who changes the attachments to my needs. These straps are the best I ever saw an used.
    I know, it's expensive but camera's are too.

Good luck with it,
    Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    gordy makes amazing straps!
    all sorts and he is an apug member

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two main functions for camera straps: weight support and anti-grip. Sometimes these functions can be mutually exclusive. I bought an UpStrap for my spotmatic because I wanted something non-slip to hang the camera on my shoulder while walking around. I also have a broad el-cheapo padded strap that's useful when I'm working with flash to support the added weight. This strap has no grip at all, so I use it around my neck, never on my shoulder alone like the UpStrap.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using Op-Tech straps with the QD releases for several years. The straps do seem to lighten the load of heavier cameras and the quick detachable fittings have been totally reliable. I use the Op-Tech straps with heavy 35mm cameras and fast lenses and medium format equipment. Some of my camera bags also have the QD fittings on the straps and they've held solid for many years. Those detachable buckles have been in use for backpacking and mountaineering equipment for a few decades and have proven to be reliable.

Shooter
    35mm
    I''ve found the Op-Tech straps useful for several years. The QD releases work as advertised. The real advantage is how they distribute weight. I've used the "pro" model with Nikonians.org on it and it never slips and makes the camera feel quite comfortable. My measure of success, regarding weight, is the Nikon F with 300mm f4.5 I carry around from time to time. The model made for Nikonians is about 2.5 inches in the middle and with such weight description combined with a flexible strap it makes all the difference in the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only ever use a strap to wrap around my wrist in the event the camera slips out of my hand. APUG advertiser Gordy (http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/) makes leather straps to order.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have Op-Tech straps for all of my cameras (even for my binoculars). They are very well made and very comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin