Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 766

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the feed back. I'm wondering why no one seems to advoacte the IV. Every one seems to use the III and the V.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heya,

the III was the last all-mechanical. It is the most reliable. The I and the II have some quirks that make them less user friendly.

The IV--if I recall correctly--doesn't allow manual exposures (well, it does allow 1/90s as a backup if the battery dies). That's why the V is the most popular.

Compare the images here:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../nikonos45.htm

the top of the IV doesn't have the shutter speed control.

I have used my V down to 150', in the pool, on a canoe, fly fishing...it is a nice toy. The 35mm lens is really nice. I have heard that this was based on the nikon RF 35mm, but I have no evidence to prove that.

Matt

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have, and like the Nik IV, which I mostly use either underwater or in the water - though for a variety of reasons I have not been scuba-diving with it yet. I also use a Nikon Action Touch when I know I am not going down more than a few feet, and have a second one that travels the world with friends. It has been to Tahiti and Hawaii.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add--the III being all mechanical is more flood-resistant. No electronics to fry when the salt water gets in.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why Nikon never made a d-Nikonos is a mystery to me. Pros abandoned the series when they realized they could get 600 shots without having to surface. Putting a 1D into a proper housing is a lot of mass&bulk to be moving around underwater though

I used to have a III, now use a 35mm Sea&Sea "Underwater Toy Camera" that I bought for $30 new

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bjorke,

It isn't just surfacing. With a digital you can keep the camera (or housing) closed all day. You don't have to open the camera to change film between dives. Sitting in a small boat with a bunch of other divers trying to keep the camera and seals clean is a major hassle.

Another "advantage" I have seen listed is the small sensor size. This has been touted as an advantage since you can get more DOF. However, you need to get even wider lenses.

Nikon may have decided that a digital Nikonos would have to be based on the RS--which was not a very successful platform. You can get a Nikon d-SLR and a housing for less.

Also, the Hanimex Amphibian is basically a generation-1 Sea and Sea. About $30.

Matt
    Last edited by MattCarey; 02-25-2007 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I recently took the "open water" diver lincense, I was truly on the road to open a topic similar to this one.

I was wondering - as these nice cameras now tend to have 20 years of age - if there are some known quirks or weak points in some models. I guess that water-seals were made with rubber (only a guess). In case: what about the durability of such rubbers?

I see that model I and II are mostly to be left to collectors.

What about III, IV and V? Are they prone to fail at such a time lag from their production?

Or are they always reliable and thus the choice can be kept on personal taste and requirements only? (mechanical / electric / auto exposure etc.)
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These days, yes. The seals are questionable. Check out ebay Nikonos listings, the seals are ALWAYS a big deal.

Matt, I meant "surfacing" not as "coming to the surface" but the whole megillah. One thing is sure, nobody changes rolls underwater. Guess that's why I've never seen any underwater large format.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Bjorke,

OK--I figured you were talking about the fact that with Digital you wouldn't have to call a dive short due to lack of film. As in, "darned, 36 exposures gone, dive's over". That's one attraction to Digital--but I have to say that I rarely shot through 36 exposures at a time, especially on deep (i.e. short) dives. I still swapped out film--no point going down with 5 or 10 shots.

So, there is the "I can stay down this dive" thing and there is the "I don't have to open my camera or housing on the boat" thing for digital.

However, as I was just ranting in another thread--Nikonos cameras are so cheap that I would probably just get a second (or third) Nikonos before a digital. Come to the surface, swap the strobes while blowing off nitrogen, and go back down.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm

nikonos users out there

I have the V. Somewhere on the net there is an article about the Nikonos series. The reviewer recommends the V as the best. Without disagreeing or agreeing with him, it is the last model and readily available. A used model should be cla'd (and serviced more often than a reg. camera due to the rough treatment and seals) and there is only one person that I know of...Southern Nikonos. They have a website. As for its use: good backup camera for all those wet rugged sports, beach, etc. It will work with a dead battery. Not being digital you are limited to 24 or 36 shots. Under water the 35mm lens is magnified by the water and appears to be almost 50mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin