Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,304   Online: 1052

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any Nikonos users out there?

20+ years ago I shot some water related assignments with a borrowed Nikonos II. Since then I have held the notion that I would like to have (not need) one of my own for really bad weather and the occasional water hazard work - canoe trips, fly fishing etc. Any one have any tips about advantages and or defects of the various models and or lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a nikonos II for nostalgic reasons. It's strong, works fine and I prefer it to most other models for the same nostalgia that made me buy one again. From the convenience's point of view I'd go with a III or a V, depending what you want.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have two Nikonos V cameras that I've used mostly for canoe and rafting trips. Lenses are limited to 35mm and 85mm for topside work. The 28, 20, 15mm lenses can only be used underwater.

Good solid camera. I use an Ikelite handheld light meter, over the meter in the camera when I can.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Nikonos V that I throw in my Klepper sea kayak whenever I go for a paddle. Nice camera, very sturdy and I love the way the shutter sounds when fired.

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Nikonos V for bad weather and sailing. I used to use a Nikon all weather P&S - the AWAF 35, I think it is called. I used it underwater, but only down to the recommended 10 ft / 3 m. That stopped working after a very hard life, probably because of seawater getting past the neglected battery cover o-ring. It worked amazingly well when it did work, and it took a lot of hard knocks. I could put it over my shoulder and forget about it until I wanted to use it. I often used it one-handed, in full autofocus and autoexposure, with Kodachrome 64. An example of such an exposure, from back in the last days of the USSR:

Here is a link to a couple of other snaps taken with the AWAF.

The Nikonos needs a big lens hood to keep the rain and snow off the front of the lens, and that interferes with the view through the finder. You get used to it though. I don't have many of my bad weather snaps on the web. here's one of them, taken with the Nikonos:

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 02-21-2007 at 07:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    I took my V out in the last Hurricane. (Just a heavy downpour and moderate winds by the time it got to this latitude). It is very liberating to walk around shooting in weather that you would never take your regular cameras out in.

The 35mm lens gives beautiful, crisp results above water. I don't know about trying to scale focus an 85mm on a rainy, heavily overcast day, though. Never tried it but it seems that you would have to be pretty skilled at estimating distances.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikonos III, nice for rainy or damp days, or dusty conditions. I have never used underwater. Nice specialty camera.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here's a good evolution of the Nikonos line:

http://www.uimage.com/photography/ni...evolution.html

I have a 'I' and a 'III' that I have used for canoeing and cold/wet weather - I find they are very rugged cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When the weather is too severe for my automatic/electronic cameras and my manual/mechanical cameras, I use a Nikonos III underwater camera with the 35mm and 80mm lenses. The body and lenses are well sealed against sand, dirt, and moisture.

I carry my Nikonos, light meter, and film in a small waterproof Pelican case that I think floats if accidentally dropped in water. I have not yet used my Nikonos for SCUBA diving.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Nikonos and I just bought a Sea and Sea camera as well. It never dawned on me to use the camera 'above' water - dang! All that effort I have put into keeping my Nikons dry and the solution was there all the time!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin