Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,609   Online: 821

Shooter
    35mm RF

Rollei 35S question

Hi

I recently started using my Rollei 35S again, and noticed that the lens assembly is a little wobbly. The chrome extension tube is very firm when locked in place. It's the lens cell that moves about 0.5mm total from front to back as well as side to side.

Is is a normal amount of play or should I get the camera serviced?

Many thanks,
    sc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, that's not normal. It shouldn't have any wobble or play.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apparently it's a known problem with the Sonnar lens. Mine's gone the same way. Well worth getting it repaired, though. It's a fantastic little camera once you get used to it's quirks!

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just has another look at mine. It looks like only the front element is loose and I seem to have cured it by carefully turning the plastic (?) retaining ring anti-clockwise as far as it will go. I'm off to test it tomorrow - I'll let you know if it works!

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rob,
    You've hit upon one of the most closely held secrets of the camera repair trade. I usually use a rubber stopper held at an angle to tighten/loosen the ring. You could use a pencil eraser to do the same thing.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin