Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,237   Online: 1046

Shooter
    35mm

FE2 and FM3a into the backpack

I'm putting a kit together for a four day hiking trip into the Sierra Madre Oriental of northeast Mexico. Tried my luck with D___, spent hrs. in Photoshop, could never get the white balance and color to look real or have dimension. Soooo, FE2 and FM3a, some fast primes, and an old SB20 flash into the backpack. I can't believe how light it is compared to more modern equipment.

This is rainforest, cloudforest, and meadows so I'm using Astia 100F, Velvia 100, and Kodak 400UC. That should cover everything from dark understory to bright sun in the clearings.

Slides will not be mounted, but cut into strips for scanning, same as the negs. (Coolscan V). I find PP of scans in Photoshop much less time consuming than required by the other medium.

Can't think of anything else to say, except this is so much simpler and lighter (no laptop, chargers, readers, image tanks, heavy slower zooms, etc.). Wish me luck.

Oh, I also drive a stick-shift truck, probably one of the last ones in the state of Texas.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Remember to bring lots of zip lock bags and try to pick up some descicant sacks too. These things come in really handy in the rainforest.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Batteries!

Lots of extras for the cameras and the flash (oh and for the cell phone!)

Bug Spray

Unless you're allergic, make sure it contains DEET

Immodium

And other basic meds such as aspirin etc.

Good Humor

For when the going or weather gets worse than you envisioned and you're beginning to think "This sucks!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pack some black and white film!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I recently picked up an FE2, super choice. Light and great handling. It certainly comes in as a featherweight sitting next to my F4s.

There is a good chance of mosquitoes so think ahead. Quinine will help fight malaria, and any responsible traveler will bring along some tonic water to supply this valuable ingredient. However, I highly suggest some form of alcohol to help speed the uptake into the bloodstream. Gin, rum or vodka come to mind...
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin