Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,035   Online: 921

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a working EM to -)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an EM, but I have no idea if it works or not, Ive never tried it! I inherithed it, and it was more of a keepsake than a working camera to me.

For the AIS lenses, I'd get an F3. It's one of my favourite Nikons, rugged and feels right n teh hand. The film advance lever is buttery smooth too, and now they are so cheap compared to a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I have a working EM to -)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The FGs were problem-prone IIRC.
    FGs have had a far amount of unfair criticism in my opinion. They are not so robustly built as some of the other Nikon models but so long as you don't want to hammer in nails with it, it should be o.k.

The FG also has aperture and shutter priority as well as manual and programmed automatic exposure and supports TTL flash - all in a compact body about the same size as the Olympus OM series.

I have had mine for 20+ years and it has always worked perfectly and has never needed a repair. (it will probably break tomorrow now I have made this statement!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    FGs have had a far amount of unfair criticism in my opinion. They are not so robustly built as some of the other Nikon models but so long as you don't want to hammer in nails with it, it should be o.k.

The FG also has aperture and shutter priority as well as manual and programmed automatic exposure and supports TTL flash - all in a compact body about the same size as the Olympus OM series.

I have had mine for 20+ years and it has always worked perfectly and has never needed a repair. (it will probably break tomorrow now I have made this statement!).

Steve.
    I bought a FG with the motor drive as a second light weight body for my
    F 3P. Although not professional grade it was a good performancer, the only feature that it lacked which I missed was depth of feild preview. At 20 years old if the electroics fail finding replacement boards may take some doing.

From I recall the FG had aperture and full program with the AIS P lens but not shutter priority. Unless the aftermarket lens has the P setting you have both aperture and manual modes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I talked to three different camera repair places about my dead FG, which looks as new as the day I purchased, and they all said "common electronic problem, cannot be repaired" I does work in manual mode (one shutter speed, I think it 1/90th) so I have kept it thinking of it as a adjustable box camera with a great lens. Only Nikon that ever died on me.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Coming back to this thread - at the end of the day, I too would recommend the F3. I have three and for a rugged manual (and aperture-priority) piece gear they are great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the price a F2 is another option.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    The older Nikkormats (e.g. FT-2, FT-3 or EL series) were built to last forever and make excellent back lens caps for AIS lenses!

And they only cost around $50 to $75 nowadays!
    Am thinking about a FT3 but forget the prices for one in good condition. I've seen FM2n's at the same price.

Shooter
    35mm

AIS Body

We were looking for a second body to go with the AIS lenses that go on our (still fully functional) FG and have bought an F301 (aka n2000) on a bit of a whim, it's not turned up yet but it might be another one worth looking at.

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    For the price a F2 is another option.
    I'm actually surprised at what F2's are going for in good condition. I checked KEH and their not cheap if you want a good body with metering finder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin