Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,844   Online: 719

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Nikon?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    Probably because they are about due to expire?

An FE2 with a couple of reasonably fast prime lenses should do what Dana44 wants – NOT a zoom as even an expensive one (one that will more than blow your budget) will only give a max aperture of f2.8, plus a whole load of distortion...

I find AF cameras hard to focus in manual mode due to the plain screen. This especially a problem with wider angle lenses. Come to that I'm not overwhelmed by their capability in AF mode either.

Richard
    You and me both... I hated using my Canon in MF mode... I prefer to have a MF camera body.. with an AE setting if thats even possible...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dana44 View Post
    You and me both... I hated using my Canon in MF mode... I prefer to have a MF camera body.. with an AE setting if thats even possible...
    The FE, FE2 FG, FG20, and Nikormat EL are all MF with AE and Manual setting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As is the FA, the most capable AE body in the MF line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    N90 and N90s have been on several websites lately for $125 or so. It is a terrific camera with more capability than you may ever use. It is well constructed. You can go from fully manual to fully automated, with a bunch of places to rest in the middle.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to hold off and "splurge" a bit more, consider the F3. Solid construction (will probably still be around years after the last roll of film is sold on ebay), great ergonomics, very accurate metering. I have purchased a few great F3HP's at KEH.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, I think this "Which Nikon Should I Buy?" thread comes up about every 9.3 days!!!!

Couldn't the OP have done a site search first and have discovered all that has been said, and all that will be said in this particular thread?

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not get a F100? From what I heard from my Nikon buddies, it's one of the best modern Nikon bodies available, and they're cheap too since everyone's getting into digital nowadays.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Paul Howell;442083]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    I dont like AF much myself but a good clean N 75 or 80 is a lot a camera for the money.

On the other hand a Nikormat with non AIS lens will last forever.
    I cut my teeth on the N75 (or F75 as it is known here) and it is a great camera. You can get one 2nd hand very, very cheap these days. The only problem is that it's a little small and bit plasticky and the metering selection is a bit convoluted in the various modes.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but the F5 is still me favourite 35mm SLR ever! Really good AF, flexible metering options (matrix, spot, centre weighted)). Drawback? No matrix metering with AI lenses. :-(

Dana,

if you look at it from a different viewpoint it could be another one of those thousands of "which one should I get" threads, where each reply is like "this model works for me so get it" etc.

But to be realistic, you need to ask some basic questions.

Why Nikon? It might be the "reputation", or the perceived final product quality, etc. But you have to think in terms of the sustainability of your tools: viability in tems of expansion and repair, how well you can use it as a tool, etc.

Then you have to make sure you can stick to your requirements: very often you get something that suits your requirements and them a week later you say, "wouldn't it be nice if it had that function?" and you're back to square one. I see this every other day, and it can get very frustrating too.

My advice (after several false starts)...

Get the camera with the minimal feature you can live with, which is sustainable. In that sense it seems like a FE or FE2 would be quite sufficient. There are differences between these two models, and operation-wise I actually prefer the FE. But of course keep an open mind, YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon FA with a 105 f2.5. Beautifully balanced and relatively lightweight. Top quality, and now thanks to digital very inexpensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin