Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,148   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus OM1 lenses

Hello,

Last year in October I got as gift Olympus OM1 with 50mm 1.8 Auto S lens. I like camera and lens, and I would get one or two lenses more, something wide and little tele, let say 28 and 135. I searched and saw there are several Auto types of lenses like Auto W, Auto T, Auto S, etc...

So, my question is what type of Olympus Zuiko lenses can be used on OM1 camera, must all lenses be Auto S or other types are OK too, that is to work as my 50mm lens work on OM1. What are differencies between S, W, T Zuiko Auto lenses?

Thank you, enjoy life,

Haris
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There should be some info for you here
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...uiko/index.htm
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I recall correctly the prefix E, G etc tells you the number of elements in the lens. The suffix must mean something like Wideangle; Standard and Tele, guessing her though. I once had the OM1, OM2n and 28mm f/2.8 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/3.5 and the 300mm f/4.5. It was a nice outfit though nothing special or extraordinary. The OM1 and the three short lenses made a light and compact kit. My current Nikon gear gives me better pics but also more bulk and weight.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Last edited by Soeren; 03-15-2007 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haris, you can use lens labeled om-system on your OM-1, auto means automatic aperture, "W" means wide angle lens, "S" means standard lens, and "T" means telephoto lens.

The major advantage of olympus system is they are light and small, it also has the best view finder. Lens(prime lenses) quality is good for general use. If you can find anything has F2 or F1.4 on it, you will be very happy with it.

Alex W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, anything labeled as OM will work for you.
    Be aware that Oly also had the Ftl system that was their screw mount system for a brief period.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post

So, my question is what type of Olympus Zuiko lenses can be used on OM1 camera, must all lenses be Auto S or other types are OK too, that is to work as my 50mm lens work on OM1. What are differencies between S, W, T Zuiko Auto lenses?

Thank you, enjoy life,

Haris
    Haris, not a direct answer to your question, but I was looking for some opinions on the 50mm over on photo.net late last year and got the answers in the link below.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00INyo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Letters in Zuiko lenses say how many elements lens is made with

D = 4 elements
    E = 5 elements
    F = 6 elements
    G = 7 elements
    H = 8 elements
    it means nothing more. No matter the Letter, Zuiko lens will fit OM1, OM2-n, OM-3 (woooooo), OM-4, or any other OM camera.
    Have a nice Zuiko day.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daniel (and everyone): There are Zuiko lenses for the Olympus Ace, Pen F/FT and FTL (as mentioned above). Those lenses will NOT fit the OM series, at least not without an adpter for the Pen or FTL lenses. FWIW, I doubt you could use an Ace lens on an OM without serious surgery or a custom-made adapter; the Ace was a rangefinder, hence the lens registraton distance was much closer, so even if you could physically get it on the body the rear element might impinge on the mirror or at the very least you could not focus at infinity.

Olympus Zuiko lenses that fit the OM system directly are labeled "OM-SYSTEM " or "M-SYSTEM". The OM-1 was originally the M-1 , but Olympus changed the name as Leica objected to the use of the "M" designation due to Leica's trademark. The M in OM stands for Maitani, the leader designer/engineer of the OM system.

haris: The Zuiko 28/2.8 and 28/3.5 are both very good lenses. I don't see much difference between them except for the speed. The best short telephoto value is the 100/2.8, which is a great lens for the money. The 100/2 is reportedly wonderful, though I have never owned one. The 90/2 Macro is superb and coveted by many, but it is expensive. If you ever find one and can afford it, BUY IT.

The 50/1.4 is worth having, especially if you get one with a serial number of 1,100,000 or higher; those were the best version of that lens. My 50/1.4 is in the 6xx,xxx range, and it is very good.

Another very good lens, especially for the money is the 35/2.8.

All-in-all, Zuiko lenses are very good to superb. I like my 21/2 as much as I liked my Leica 21/3.4 Super Angulon. They are different in character, but the Zuiko is as good in many respects, especially at closer focus. I have not owned one, but many feel the Zuiko 50/1.2 is close to some of the 50mm Summilux versions.

Don't let anyone pooh-pooh Zuiko lenses. There are certain Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Canon or other lenses that one may feel are "better" in a particular formulation, but "better" is a very subjective term.

Earl
    Zuikoholic
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good reply Earl. I am a "Zuikoholic" as well -- that's my primary 35mm system. For Haris' benefit, I would also like to add that if bulk and weight are less of a concern and if you really want to carry a zoom lens, the 28-90 f2.8-3.5 Vivitar Series 1 is really nice. I mostly use my prime glass, but sometimes a fairly fast zoom makes for a nice walkaround lens.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin