Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,439   Online: 1194

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Having a closer look at the lens mount, it appears to be very close to the FE, not FE2. There is a flip up lever which would allow the fitting of the non AI lenses, which would put it on a par with the FE and F3 bodies.
    That looks to me like the AI tab - not flip-up like the FE or the F3 but I can't be sure. Flip-up would be way cool.

-Anupam

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This looks like the somewhat generic Cosina SLR platform. But...the layout of the camera may be dependent on the Copal shutter, and its requirements for placement of shutter speed dial and shutter release.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This indeed looks like a Cosina design because of the bump on the back just under the film advance and the angle of the tip of the film rewind crank.

The AI tab looks to be fixed. I don't see any small button to release it to a flip-up position. However, it might be there but maybe you just can't see it in the photos.

Interesting how some smaller players are now stepping in to fill a vacancy in the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember a Pop Photo or Shutterbug article from a few years back re: the Vivitar 3800 and the Phoenix P3000. The Vivitar was based on the FM10 body and the Phoenix on the manual Minolta (which the Japanese had jobbed out to the Chinese to manufacture). I bought the Vivitar with a 35-80mm Zoom for Number Two daughter and was impressed by the heft and feel of the thing. For $150, it was a damned good deal. Had a nifty accessory that divided the frame during multiple exposures, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/camera/slr.html

It says the new camera doesn't fit with non Ai lenses...

Shooter
    35mm
    This makes sense because it doesn't look like the AI tab flips up. If this isn't another Cosina body it is certainly a close copy. I would rather use a Nikkormat if its top speed of 1/1000 is high enough. There are plenty of Nikkormats around and a $100-$125 overhaul will make one work like new.

Phenix has been building Yashica FX-3 based cameras for quite some time and if you compare it against this against the Cosina chassis you can see there are some differences. Besides, the meter coupling prong does not fold back like the earlier Nikons such as FM and FE, so it is an exclusively Ai camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Considering the FX-3 was the origin of the Cosina design and the current Cosina SLR's are alldirectly descended from it, that would make the Phenix a direct copy of the Cosina.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would agree that the photograph shows a camera which looks very much like certain Vivitar SLR's. Also here in the UK they are sometimes sold as Centon. Usually they have K mounts but I was aware that the Chinese factory produces versions with other mounts.

I've come across several of these Chinese made SLR's (the K mount variety) and they are not very well built. The film advance mechanism and in particular the film advance lever seem to be the weakest spot. There is a tendancy for the wind lever to work loose and for the film not to advance properly. Another weak area is that a couple I've come across failed to turn the battery power off, so if the batteries were left in they drained completely after a day or so.

Some Vivitar SLR cameras have been made by Cosina. The Cosina cameras are much better made than the Chinese ones. Unfortunately quality control is stiill the weak point in Chinese camera manufacture (eg the Seagull TLR's) and anyone getting one of these Kenko cameras should face the fact that it may not have a long life. What the situation is on spares I've no idea but I doubt if there is any commitment to keep them available for 10 years after camera manufacture is discontinued!

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    all said,

there are available many original nikons...the good metal ones....in excellent condition for such a reaasonable price, it might be better to just pick one up from apug classified.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin