Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,539   Online: 1081

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujifilm announced a new film camera, Klasse S with 38mm f/2.8 lens

In the press release dated 15 March 2007, Fujifilm announced a new film camera, Klasse S, to be released by the end of April 2007. Klasse S features 38mm f/2.8 lens, based on Tessar design, using an aspherical lens as the first element. The lens is of course EBC Fujinon coated. The rest of the spec is same or very similar to their previous camera, Klasse W.

http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/corporate/.../ffnr0095.html

One interesting thing is that they say they'll make 8000 units in the press release. This is a surprisingly small number compared to what we are used to see only a few years ago. But obviously, they are making sufficient profit from this price and the production size. (In year 2007-8, that'll be about 1% of total annual production of 35mm cameras in Japan.)

Shooter
    35mm
    It looks like a cross between the older Klasse (the first one that came out years ago) and Kyocera Contax T2. Is there anything very remarkable about this camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm afraid this doesn't excite me. Now, if they revived their 6x7 and 6x9 rangefinder lines, that WOULD excite me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own a Klasse W so it's hard to say either way, but I was certainly most excited with Natura Black and Silvi 2.8 black, rather than this camera. Originality and the right idea to utilize the uniquely-film feature are something Fujifilm is very good at. A camera with 38mm lens is nothing unique, though there is market for it. I personally would be more excited if they made 8000 more of Natura Black, or a new Klasse with the 24mm f/1.9 lens.

I think the biggest news today is that Fujifilm is still making 8000 new film cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hey, the best thing is that if they are making more film cameras then they must be planning to make more film to put in them!

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a Rollei AFM35. I'm assuming Rollei contracted Fuji for a production run, and someone at Fuji decided to leverage their investment further and brand it themselves once the Rollei contract ended. The exchange rate makes the Fuji version ridiculously expensive for US buyers, while the Rollei version I think was more reasonably priced near $250-ish.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin