Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,831   Online: 901

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FM-10 is mainly of plastic construction
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would if I was in your shoes scour the bay used dealers etc for a while to work out the average prices of various bodies and then get a few spare, If you watch the bay for auctionsthat are wrongly listed or finnish when not a lot of peeps can get on line you could (I hope) get enough bodies to cover a good few years shooting. The problem with adaptors is that there is always some compromise. Anyway best of luck

Shooter
    Multi Format

Upgrade to Carl Zeiss lenses.

Where to begin;

Option 1. Yes, because the flange distance is the greatest on a Canon, it's true, that everybody else's lens wil fit on a Canon. Also, yes there are Rollei lens, to Canon EOS camera adapters, available on eBay. So if you're intent on keeping you old Rollei lenses than this is the way to go. Personally, I'd suggest an RT, or a 1n RS.
    Since you have to shoot the lenses in stopped down mode anyway, get some enjoyment from it.

Option 2. If you are ready to get rid of your antiquated lenses, then let me suggest the new Carl Zeiss " Z " series.
    These are up to date Carl Zeiss, manual focusing lenses, made in 4 different mounts; Canon " EF ", Nikon " F ", Sony " AF " & Pentax " K " mounts. This would alow you a greater selection of bodies from which to choose.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Apparently back in the 80's there was a crazy in converting Spotmatics to Rollei mount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    Where to begin;

Option 1. Yes, because the flange distance is the greatest on a Canon, it's true, that everybody else's lens wil fit on a Canon. Also, yes there are Rollei lens, to Canon EOS camera adapters, available on eBay. So if you're intent on keeping you old Rollei lenses than this is the way to go. Personally, I'd suggest an RT, or a 1n RS.
    Since you have to shoot the lenses in stopped down mode anyway, get some enjoyment from it.
    Actually, it's because the flange distance is the one of the SHORTEST that most other lenses can be adapted to fit on a Canon . Unfortunately, Canon FD flange to focal plane distance is even shorter, which is why Canon FD lenses can't be mounted on Canon EOS, without an adapter that includes an optical element that degrades the quality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is a lot of Rolleiflex SL bodies out there, and I'd probably hunt down one of these than go for some Canon plastic piece of junk, although Canon junk is plentiful and cheap because there are so many out there and because worn plastic bodies look like hell and therefore don't hold their value as much.

The SL 35 M is big and bulky. The real downside of the later Rolleis is that they're unreliable. Finding a working body can be very much hit or miss, while most Canon plastic wonders seem to be still working.

From the SL 35 M onward, the viewing screens were big improvements over other cameras both in brightness and with the diagonal split screen, which is even easier to use than the horizontal split image.

Canon makes two lines of lenses: Consumer and pro. Consumer level is good enough, can occasionally feel cheap and is appropriately priced. It's "L" pro-level lenses are much more sturdy and again are priced to match.

One of the nicest vintage Carl Zeiss lenses for the Rollei is the f/2.8 85mm Sonnar. It's very sharp with lots of character and adequate speed. It generally sells in the $250 price range.

There also is/was the budget Rolleinar lenses (reportedly made by Mamiya), which perform very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess there isn't much point to posting now, as the OP asked his question 2 years ago....

But about Rolleis:
    The SL35-M is *not* Identical to the Voigtländer VSL 1. They are very similar and both derived from the Icarex, but the VSL 1 has much more metal in it and, notably, has a much better shutter speed dial (including the smoothness of the click stops).

The SL35-E (= Voigtländer VSL 3-E) was notorious for its electronic problems, but those were fixed in the later series cameras and in those sent back for repair.
    While probably not the World's most reliable camera, one now working properly will probably keep working for a good while...
    It is a very nice user.
    I have 3, just in case! :-)

The SL35 can be fairly reliable (if you find a working one), I just don't like it. The very expensive-because-sought-for-by-collectors SL35O could be a definite improvement and looks interesting, if you have money. I keep hoping to find one of those mythical Spotmatics with a Rollei mount.

Selling Zeiss lenses to *upgrade* to Canon EF is pure nonsense, unless you really want autofocus.
    With one or two exceptions, the newer lenses will *not* bring you better quality. In most cases it will be a definite downgrade.

Another advantage of the Rolleiflex system is that the 35mm f/2.8 and the 85mm f/2.8 (both reputedly different schemes from the Contax equivalents) are excellent and tiny, making them my SLR lenses of choice for travelling/mountains.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The SL35-M has proven dependable so far. I have been using zinc-air cells for the meter and I was able to make a -4 dopter viewfinder lens so that I can use the eyecup to keep extraneous light from affecting the meter.

I agree on the 35 f2.8 as a nice compact lens, its not much bigger than a 50mm. I'm still looking for the 85mm.

In the last two years, though, I did loose function of an SL2000F, but I got a new-to-me one off e-bay. So I have two 3003s and two 2000Fs but one needs repair. I was fortunate enough to buy a NEW 3003 in 1996 as a backup. But I still miss having a working SL35E.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-10-2009 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a very good and cheap repairman in The Netherlands (fixed my 3003 when several things burned out), he asked less than half of what the official Rollei repair place in Germany did. If back & forth across the Atlantic isn't too expensive to be viable, I'll gladly look up his address.

The good news is that the 85mm f/2.8 is nearly identical in size with the 35mm f/2.8. If I didn't have very different lens shades permanently mounted on them, telling them apart could be a real problem.

SL35-Es (& VSL 3-Es) are fairly easy to find over here, though shipping costs could end up being more than the camera itself.

BTW: You do know that only NiCd accumulators should be used on the 2000F & 3003?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have rebuilt each one of my power packs at least once. The same Sanyo N-700AAC NiCads are used for radio controlled model transmitters and receivers, and they have served me well.

I'd appreciate any addresses you have. I had an SL2000f repaired by Marflex in New Jersey in 1987, but I think they only to TLRs now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin