Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 763

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I got a deal on a Nikon N90s. OK. Nikon virgin here. I need the rundown on all the lens variations. Making me insane! Which fits and why? Rear curtin sync? WHAAAA?????
    Thanks!!!!!
    Lori
    Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners. Laurence Sterne 1713-1768, British Author

I have an N90s. I'd suggest getting the Magic Lantern guide for it. I've got one, and it's like a user's manual that's written in everyday English for real people. I think that it costs about $20.00 U.S. Border's or Barnes & Noble should have it or be able to order it.

Muchas gracias senor.....~
    Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners. Laurence Sterne 1713-1768, British Author

Images
    Welcome to the dark side! hee hee. I would start with the AF-D lenses... They have the built in suppord for distance info for the matrix fill flash. The standard 50mm 1.8 is an awesome lens (no D info) Tack sharp and under 100 bux too boot!
    hi!

The Magic Lantern guides are decent, but if it were me, I'd trade it in on Maxxum 7. Better overall value, and not such a pig. I waffled between the 90 and a Minolta 800Si. Bought the 800Si and glad I did (Pre-Maxxum 7 days). But then I'm biased - I have had and used Minolta since the 60s, currently running 4 bodies. I have 2 pieces of big ticket Nikon gear, one camera, one scanner, and there won't be any more. If I change 35mm systems or go SLR digital it'll be to Canon.

I don't want to start a Nikon vs Minolta conversation, just want to tell my experience. I moved from Minolta to Nikon about two years ago.

Before buying my F90x I had the opportunity to play around with the Minolta 7 (Maxuum 7) which is a fine camera, packed with very attractive features, but it has two weak points where F90x is superior, in my opinion.

I owned previously Minolta gear, and I had build quality problems with nearly all of the lenses. All of them had a real bad play (the inner barel, which moves when focusing). Than the rotatitn filter thread, no way to mount the lens reversed, as it lacks of aperture ring.
    I knew that Nikon lenses are really good, and backward compatible, so there was no contest on this front.

The other was the Minolta 7 build quality. If the camera wasn't made out of plastic I was about to buy it, even if the Nikon lenses were better. But it was plastic, no rubber covering, no metal shell. The F90x is rubberized plastic on a metal shell, and feels much better.

Lori,

My advice on lenses for this body is to avoid the G series, they lack an aperture ring and you will not be able to use Aperture Priority or Manual mode with one. The various Program and Shutter Priority modes will work with G lenses.

Since the N90s lacks the five AF sensors of the later bodies, you will not be able to make use of VR (Vibration Reduction). The 80-400mm AF-D VR will work on your body but the VR features of the lens will not be available. The new 70-200mm AF-S G VR will work only in Shutter Priority and Program modes since it will not have the aperture ring.

The N90s works fine with AI and AIS manual focus lenses. With these lenses, you will loose matrix metering and the various Program modes. There are a few manual focus lenses that will provide full metering, the 45mm f/2.8 AIP s one of them. There are companies that can add the chip to most of the AI and AIS lenses for around $80.00 US each. The early non-AI lenses can be AI'd. Mounting a non AI lens that has not been AI'd can damage the body and/or the lens.

The D series of lenses provide information on the focus distance, this information is used by the flash system and can improve the exposure in some situations. Most (if not all) of the current AF lenses are D lenses, even the G series lenses have the D feature. The older, non-D, versions usually sell for less that the D version on the used market and can be a good buy if flash photography is not your main intent.

Nikon has updated the AF 50mm f/1.8 to include the D chip.

Rear Curtain Sync is where the flash is synchronized with the rear shutter curtain.

To see the effects of this, try an experiment. Have your subject walk through a scene and shoot both with and without rear curtain sync. The shot with rear curtain sync will have trailing blur streaks and the apparent direction of motion will be that he/she is moving forwards. With out it, the subject will appear to be moving backwards due to the leading blur streaks. This is because the flash freezes the action at the beginning of the exposure without Rear Curtain Sync and at the end of the exposure with it.

I hope this helps.

Vernon

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great advice on the above post. I have the 90s and the F100. Using the 90 90% of the time. Love it. As I am "old fashion" use both only in manual mode, but the auto focus is great for "old eyes".
    Have fun and enjoy. Everyone alwasys has a favorite.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Thanks all for the time and energy. Finally the curtin sync makes sense! WHOO HOO!!!! there is much to learn here, but what fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Im a Minolta girl too but have recently bought a Nikon F80 and loving it. I have a 28-70 mm D f3.5-4.5 and a new 50 mm f1.8. As I have so much Minolta gear which I also love ( incl. a Dynax 5)I wont be investing in a lot of Nikon lenses but its cool to have a few-Congrats !
    ps Im also in the UK and new here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin