Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,167   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Minolta MF?

I have a box of MD mount lenses in good condition. Unfortunately, I don't have a working camera to use them with. Yesterday, I had to send in my Nikon for some repairs so I'm currently without a good SLR and will be for a month or so if I simply sit and wait.

This will not do.

I like the feel of the old Minoltas. Beyond that, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'd want something with a good meter; I tend to shoot aperture-priority oftentimes. A shutter-priority mode would also be nice. I'm not a fan of plastic. Like most here, I don't trust something that can't withstand a four foot drop.

I was originally looking for something to carry around for documentary and candid work. That is still the primary reason I'll be carrying around the thing, but right now I'll be using it for portraits too.

I have been (and still am) looking around online. I just figured someone around here might know something I don't; maybe some firsthand experience or something from a friend of a friend.

Once again, folks; thank you very, very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally like the XK & the SRT-102. I would suggest any MF Minolta except the XG line.

Craig

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like my Minolta X-700. I'm still learning this whole photography thing, but it serves me well.
    If you've sent in a modern Nikon AF for repairs- the metering on the minoltas will be less advanced than you're used to. But as long as you know the basics of when to add or minus a stop of exposure, you should be alright with the basic center-weighted meter.
    My only beef with the X-700- I've got big hands, and it feels a bit small. One of these days I'll spring for a winder to add some size.

Try www.keh.com- they've got a ton of minolta's for sale.
    Bien Suerte.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    btw- whereabouts in NWI? I grew up in Hammond. Never too far from the da region.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

different minolta mf dif strokes.

srt range for good solid cameras that will not die. Mercury battery phase out is a challenge that can be overcome by re-tuning a couple of potentiomenters with the bottom removed.

x700- it does it all for you if you wnat. Mine kept me going for almost 20yrs before I took it accidentally for a swim. I replaced it with an x-570. No fully automatic, but it gives you better information in the viewfinder when in fully manual mode, and still mounts the md1 motor drive that makes the camera much easier to hold on to (among other things) .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLewis View Post
    I like my Minolta X-700.
    Bien Suerte.

I had one and brought one for my daughter to use in her photography class. I have had: SR-7, SRT-101, SRT102 and many Minolta lenses.

When my girl friend won a f/3.6 28mm to 300mm AF Zoom lens that she gave me, I switched to Nikon. The Minolta does not get used now because I recently was given a C330 with 65mm, 80mm and 250 mm lenses and I purchased a folding 120 camera. Therefore if I were to take all my equipment with me, I would lose even more of my height! :o :o :o

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Just outside La Porte.

I was just looking at an XG9 the other night. Then I read somewhere that an XG made for a good student camera. That stopped that.

KEH has an XK BGN condition. It's $225, if memory serves.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think a lot of the minoltas make for good student cameras.
    Don't want to turn you off to minolta- but I'm not sure they made a really 'high-end' manual, in the likes of Nikon F series. I could be wrong-

I've also got an XG-1, but not really designed for regular use in manual mode. The meter turns off when you manually set shutter speeds- so you have to take a reading in aperture priority mode, remember the shutter recommendation, then adjust the shutter speed accordingly. If all the XGs do this, I'd avoid them. But I don't know if they do or not.

Wow. La Porte. Not so close to Hammond. So I won't bother with the "do you know xxx..."

Cheers,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew West View Post
    I have a box of MD mount lenses in good condition. ... I tend to shoot aperture-priority oftentimes. A shutter-priority mode would also be nice. I'm not a fan of plastic.
    As stated, the SRT's are tanks. The X700 is nice, but doesn't have shutter priority IRRC. The XD-11 fits all of your requirements, nicely, IMHO. Cheers.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [QUOTE=David Brown;450641] The X700 is nice, but doesn't have shutter priority IRRC. QUOTE]

True statement.
    BUT... you can set it on the speed you want to use, then adjust the aperture manually until the shutter speed you want to use is lit in the viewfinder. Yes, an extra step, and defeats the purpose of making one setting instead of two. Not a true subsitute for shutter priority if you're looking for quick settings, but it works if you're goal is to get a reading at a certain shutter speed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin