Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,367   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Well, I wan't lying when I said that if I still used SLRs, I'd be VERY tempted to buy these lenses. As I did with the 75/2 Summicron for the Leicas.

Bear in mind also: someone has bought something is often impelled to justify his purchase to himself, never mind anyone else. An honest reviewer -- and I try to be honest -- doesn't have to do this.

My wife and I had the lenses, and used them, for two or three months. I doubt you will get a lot more information out of someone who has bought them. Of course you'll know more after two or three years but no-one has yet had them this long.

Finally, magazines have two policies on 'road tests'. Either they are always slavishly admiring, or they are honest. If I do not like a product, I do not praise it just to get published. In other words, if I say something is good, it's my honest opinion.

Cheers,

R.
    I appologize if you thought I was disparaging your remarks and report on these lenses in Shutterbug. I did not intend it to come across that way.

Your reveiw was good and pretty extensive, some of the photos didn't reproduce too well in my copy of the magazine so it was hard to see the true quality from them. As you pointed out in the article, some things are easier to "recognize than to quantify".

I think that I, like many others, when considering parting with that kind of cash want as many opinions as they can get and I've found the people on this forum to be pretty straight in their comments vers some other forums I've participated in.

Again, I did not mean to cause offence in my remarks.

Bill Slater
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

An actual Zeiss ZF experience

I posted this short example on my site. The text, when translated from German, reads:
    "I noticed on my ZF f/1,4 50 mm that it produces bad coma at medium distance from center at f/1.4 that suddenly diappears at f/2.0. That would have been a case for an asphere! Example pictures: night view of an industrial estate, camera on a tripod, of course, 2/3 from center exactly downwards, Nikon D200 body, RAW converter Capture One, sharpening 40."
    That said, I still enjoy using this lens and find myself using it's fault, e.g. in portraits wide open and softened, airy.

A blessed Easter to all!
    Christoph

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunr View Post

I think that I, like many others, when considering parting with that kind of cash want as many opinions as they can get and I've found the people on this forum to be pretty straight in their comments vers some other forums I've participated in.
    Dear Bill,

No apology needed. But if I can help more, let me know how. These are REALLY IMPRESSIVE lenses. If I used SLRs instead of RFs, I'd buy them.

As for the repro.... Yes, well... That's the way it is.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Bill,

No apology needed. But if I can help more, let me know how. These are REALLY IMPRESSIVE lenses. If I used SLRs instead of RFs, I'd buy them.

As for the repro.... Yes, well... That's the way it is.

Cheers,

R.
    ]

Roger,

I am glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I appreciate the offer of futher help. Now if you could just get them to give me one of the 100mm Macros to test for a couple of years or so.....

I will just have to find the right time to try and get one past the wife. Maybe after she comes home with that big bag of shoes she just bought! LOL

I will probably check out prices and availability here in the states as I really am very interested in one. Not having dealt with Zeiss before I really do not know what their track record is for products. It sounds like they my not be available for quite some time yet from others who have posted on this.

I am still a film shooter using my Nikon F5, FM2n and FE2 cameras so the full manual lenses are something I am quite comfortable with. The wife has a P&S digital that I do use to take quick shots of something I want to e-mail but that is about it. I use a Coolscan to digitize the few good shots I take that I may want to work on.

Again, thanks for the response and offer of help!

Bill

PS - Christoph, thanks for the response and link. I'll log into it now. Happy Easter to all!
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunr View Post
    ]
    Roger,

Now if you could just get them to give me one of the 100mm Macros to test for a couple of years or so.....

Bill
    Dear Bill,

Stand in line for that one.

As I understand it, Zeiss is going for 'viral marketing.'

I'm infected.

If I get one, I'll write a test report. Sorry I can't do more!

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit falling victim of that infection too.
    My first thought after reading Frances review in B&W was
    "Why arent they CPU'ed?" Then I reread and it came to me. The buyers are purists who want the best image quality and they are probaly using tripods and perhaps the spotmeter (if using an AF body) as I do when shooting closeups and macro on 35mm so they (I) wouldnt care about loosing matrix metering and the aperture info in the viewfinder.
    My next thought which is now a question.
    If you only see the absolute quality of these lenses when using a tripod where is the reason to buy them instead of going MF for e.g. landscapes?
    I would like 25mm, 50mm and 100mm for macro work though.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    If you only see the absolute quality of these lenses when using a tripod where is the reason to buy them instead of going MF for e.g. landscapes?
    Dear Soeren,

Smaller size, lighter weight, lower running costs -- the usual 35mm advantages, really...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think having a CPU on these lenses would offend the purists... it would give them more options.

Adding autofocus might offend them because the silky-smooth focus feel of manual lenses would have to be abandoned.

Adding a "CPU" (that term annoys me; it's technically wrong ) would let the lens support all metering modes and exposure modes on all modern Nikons, and would let it be more easily used on some of the lower-end bodies (probably not terribly important, but not a bad thing either).

It would add complexity and cost though... given the audience to whom these lenses are directed, I don't think that would matter, however.

In any event, I'm glad they were released. I'm tempted to buy one, but I already have too much gear...!
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Soeren,

Smaller size, lighter weight, lower running costs -- the usual 35mm advantages, really...

Cheers,

R.
    Dear Roger

Smaller size and lighter weight is possible if using a rangefinder like Mamiya 6 - 7II or the Bronica RF 645 and these Zeiss lenses arent exactly lightweight either. Regarding running costs, I'm not to sure about that. Sometimes I feel I get more good shots from less film spend in MF but then again I havn't done the math. Othervise point taken.

Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think another reason that these aren't chipped for Nikon is that the original concept was to produce manual focus Zeiss lenses in a range of mounts, and what they've settled on is to produce them first in Nikon F mount, and then spin some of them off in M42 mount, since many different cameras can use an M42 adapter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin