Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,393   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

"F" Mount Zeiss lenses for Nikons - Anybody Tried/Seen them?

I just read in Shutterbug about the newer Zeiss lenses for the Nikon "F" Mount. Anybody tried them out, seen them?

I'm kind of intrigued by the 100mm Macro lens but I'm sure it's pretty expensive. I'm curious if it is really much better then the Nikkors.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You might want to check this site for other threads about the "phantom ZF glass". There have been several over the past year and a half of waiting for "zfGodot"! And alternative would be to try and fathom the Zeiss website (good luck there).

FYI of the five announced f/l's - three are to be made (under "strict" German observation - whatever than means) by Cosina in Japan (or maybe China?) and two are supposed to made in "Valhalla" by the Gotts!

If you ever find this glass, much like searching for Das Rhiengold, please report back to us mortals.

Oh, as to quality, I'd much prefer the originals Nikkors if NIB to whatever comes in ZF. But, alas, Nikon is moving away from manual focus lenses and only has a couple of f/l's remaining in production.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They were on display at PMA, but I didn't actually have a camera to attach one to and test. If you email Richard Schleuning (rschleuning@zeiss.com), National Sales Manager for Zeiss in the Americas, he'll send you a very slick brochure about them. The most interesting lenses they had on display were Hasselblad lenses in Tilt/Shift ZS mounts made by Hartblei.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunr View Post
    I just read in Shutterbug about the newer Zeiss lenses for the Nikon "F" Mount. Anybody tried them out, seen them?
    Well, yes.... Look who wrote the review. What wasn't in there that you want to know?

Alas, the 100 Macro wasn't available at the time. I'm angling for it.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are the lenses not available to the public yet? BTW, great article Roger! I just wish there would have been a bigger image of the actual 35mm lens ( I need it to post it on my fridge so I can remind myself every day what I'm saving up money for)!

Shooter
    35mm
    I did log into the Zeiss web site and am downloading the specs for the 100mm as I type this. It is just that I find it better to hear from someone who actually owns and uses a product vers someone who reports or product liturature.

It looks like you can order them online direct from Zeiss but since I haven't done that I really don't know if they are actually in stock or you would be "Back Ordered" if you actually submitted one.

I did a dealer lookup for the states and there seem to be quite a few but again I haven't actually asked any if they had them in stock much less what they would charge.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    . It is just that I find it better to hear from someone who actually owns and uses a product vers someone who reports or product liturature.
    Well, I wan't lying when I said that if I still used SLRs, I'd be VERY tempted to buy these lenses. As I did with the 75/2 Summicron for the Leicas.

Bear in mind also: someone has bought something is often impelled to justify his purchase to himself, never mind anyone else. An honest reviewer -- and I try to be honest -- doesn't have to do this.

My wife and I had the lenses, and used them, for two or three months. I doubt you will get a lot more information out of someone who has bought them. Of course you'll know more after two or three years but no-one has yet had them this long.

Finally, magazines have two policies on 'road tests'. Either they are always slavishly admiring, or they are honest. If I do not like a product, I do not praise it just to get published. In other words, if I say something is good, it's my honest opinion.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did log into the Zeiss web site and am downloading the specs for the 100mm as I type this. It is just that I find it better to hear from someone who actually owns and uses a product vers someone who reports or product liturature.

It looks like you can order them online direct from Zeiss but since I haven't done that I really don't know if they are actually in stock or you would be "Back Ordered" if you actually submitted one.

I did a dealer lookup for the states and there seem to be quite a few but again I haven't actually asked any if they had them in stock much less what they would charge.
    Let us all know - we wait with bated breath - what you learn of availability.

Maybe then we can get an idea whether the protracted intro has produced anything more than a "ho hum".

If I sound a bit "jaded" well, Zeiss started this gambit back in December 2005 with all kinds of "teasers" on their website. By my calendar all I can fathom is that they've created some prototypes lenses for the reviewers and have yet to provide actual retail production.

Kind of typically European these days.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Doesn't our own bigcameraworkshops.com sell these lenses? He's in Ontario, Canada so might be able to provide stock to you.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Conspiracy Theory #2: Maybe they are really manual focus Nikkors with the names changed. After all, what has Nikon done with all its manual focus lens making equipment now that it specializes in plastic autofocus lenses? Look at the clues: Zeiss has 5 letters as well as Nikon. If you flip the "Z" sideways, you get an "N" (for Nikon). "Zeiss" has 2 vowels as does "Nikon". Both words have identical consonants (Nn and Ss). "N" is the 15th letter of the alphabet, ""S" is the 19th. Flip them around and you have 1915, or two years before Nikon started as a company. Magic number 2. Two lenses, two "companies", Zeiss and Nikon? I think we should look deeper into this mystery...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin