Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,980   Online: 843

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look for something listed as near mint on ebay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just buy one listed as "mint" on ebay. It stands as good a chance of being dead as a mashed cat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Minolta X370 that has bad battery contacts (I think it's totally dead now). It wasn't worth much when it worked, so PM me if you want it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heya!

Thanks all for the responses. I'll check the "as-is" at KEH. Meanwhile, I'll PM a few of you about your generous offers!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Shop no further than eBay using search terms like beater, parts, etc. The mother of all canned popcorn and underwear sales sites is a mecca.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll generally find quite a few cameras on eBay sold "As-Is" or "For Parts".

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree you have to be careful buying cameras on ebay as some people are not as accurate as they should be, but I think some of the posters here are being a little too cynical! I've had many bargains over the past few years and on the three occasions when the description was misleading I've had my money back from the seller.

But ebay is an excellent place for cameras clearly sold as non-working, usually described as for parts or spares. Indeed I've got a Pentax MV body on there at present which is semi-working. Such cameras usually go for around £5 ($9.50). Sometimes the seller includes a lens which is working so it can be a way of getting a cheap lens (usually a 50mm).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    I agree you have to be careful buying cameras on ebay as some people are not as accurate as they should be, but I think some of the posters here are being a little too cynical! I've had many bargains over the past few years and on the three occasions when the description was misleading I've had my money back from the seller.

But ebay is an excellent place for cameras clearly sold as non-working, usually described as for parts or spares. Indeed I've got a Pentax MV body on there at present which is semi-working. Such cameras usually go for around £5 ($9.50). Sometimes the seller includes a lens which is working so it can be a way of getting a cheap lens (usually a 50mm).
    I have had very good experience buying cameras on eBay. As regards SLRs, over the past several years, I have purchased:

Nikons:

two - F5's
    three - F100's
    three - F3HP's
    one - N75
    one - FT-3
    one- F

Hassey:
    one - 503cw

Bronica:
    one - ETRSi

In all cases, I have been very pleased with what I purchased - even though it was all "sight unseen" and I relied on the seller's honesty.

Depending on what you are seeking, first off, if you spend a few weeks just looking and "watching" models you're interested in you will learn that there are some regular sellers with excellent ratings.

These folks are knowledgeble dealers and give fair ratings - since they are dealing with a lot of gear. With these sellers it is not unusual to see three or four listings of a model with different ratings and prices - they are basically "on-line" versions of the "Used Section" of your "good old camera store".

Most of these folks offer returns etc. and I feel very comfortable dealing with them.

Just one caveat, I've found that there are number of "brick and mortar" dealers who use eBay but are a bit "piggy" about their pricing. I try to avoid these guys - not because I'm concerned about the quality of their listings - but rather because I think they are not properly "marking to market".

So I seek out the "on-line only" reputable sellers. And I've, so far, had good luck (NOTE: Now hear sound of knuckles knocking on wood!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend who is a camera repairer buys a lot of dead cameras for spares from insurance company s who have paid out on claims for them.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Just go to your local camera dealer and ask if he has any Nikon D-100's left. :o

It was a "top shelf" DSLR only three years ago. Now it is just about worthless.

Other "early issuse" DSLRs wll also meet the above criterion.
    I would be happy to get any working early issue issue DSLR for say $100. That including the D100, Canon D30,D60, and many Kodak DSLR's. However, those go for higher prices on Ebay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin