Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Daventry Northamptonshire about as central as you can get.
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Back in the 35mm fold DIVORCE PENDING!

Took a week off work with the 4 kids for Easter and had a blast. Went to the Cinema, Swimming, Nature walks etc. Also not least because I have been putting some film through an absolute mint Yashica Mat 124G 6X6 I acquired off E-bay, a few weeks back.

I suddenly realised how much I had missed photography as a stimulating creative hobby having sold up a 35mm system years ago and had a succession of :rolleyes: Shhh digital compacts since.

So a week off, the kids on their play-stations due to bad weather. I decided to have a look at what my dream 35mm SLR from many years ago was going for on e-bay. I was amazed how many Nikon F3's there are most looking well used, only one or two looking well loved.

I was browsing when up popped a new listing "buy it now" for a Mint F3 HP body only had amateur use, photographed from every angle inside and out it looked pristine, money back guarantee if it did not work perfectly. $300 or £152. I drooled for all of 10 seconds, it was fate synchronicity stikes again and so I hit "buy it now".

My good lady was not due in for another 4 hours, the rain was still dancing down and I needed some glass for my new baby.

Oh dear 4 hours is a long time in Aladdin's cave:o

The devil makes work for idle hands!

Within 3 hours I had a mint MD4 motor drive for $80!!!! or £40, then a 28mm 2.8 AIS Nikkor which looks as new boxed €88 or £60. A 35mm F2.0 AIS mint €132 Euros or £90. A mint and boxed 50mm 1.8 AIS $80 or £40 and finally a pair of lenses together on a "buy it know" 35-70 3.5/4.5 (heard mixed reviews on this one) and a 80-200 F4 AIS both look absolutely mint price................... wait for it $200 or £101!!!!!!!

$950 or about £480 for a mint F3 HP, MD4 and 5 lenses. It seems I did very very well or is this the sort of price this fantastic gear is going for now?

Anyway my next mission is to beat the wife to the postie for the next week or so till it all arrives, four lots from the USA, 1 from Germany and 1 from Sweden.

I remember holding a F3HP as an 18 year old camera salesman and thinking "one day" it has took a while but I got there in the end!

I Just need to convince the wife it's all her fault for going to work and leaving me in charge of the 4 little darlings, I must have had a mental block or something

I will be posting my first efforts for your considered opinions very soon.
    Regards Paul

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopite64 View Post
    ......my next mission is to beat the wife to the postie for the next week or so till it all arrives,.....
    I know that feeling!
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Congratulations. You'll enjoy the F3HP. I have three of them (three locations) and think they're true "classics".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopite64 View Post
    ...Anyway my next mission is to beat the wife to the postie for the next week or so till it all arrives...
    I'm lucky in that I can have everything I buy sent to my work address. Makes things so much easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar experience about a year ago. I was at a "garage sale" being held by a pro photographer in his studio. I found a very lightly used F3 with MD4 for $150 and just had to buy it. It was also my dream camera when I was around 18. I remember being in college photo class and just hating the rich girl who was using a brand new F3. Envy can be an ugly thing.

Congrats, I think you are going to love your new system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Getting the gear and hiding it is the easy part for me. My wife is clueless on the 'stuff' aspect. I could take her picture in the morning with my Minolta x-700, then a Deardorf 8x10 in the afternoon, and she wouldn't notice the difference.

It's hiding the financial aspect that's tough. Stupid online access to checking accounts means she can see that I charged something at Central Camera. Paying cash is just as tough. "Why did you take $40 out of the account today?"

The web of lies I live.

Daventry Northamptonshire about as central as you can get.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "It's hiding the financial aspect that's tough. Stupid online access to checking accounts means she can see that I charged something at Central Camera. Paying cash is just as tough. "Why did you take $40 out of the account today?"

I know that feeling very well Rob which is why I set up a checking account a few years back called internet transactions in my name only and applied for a credit card in my name only. That credit card is my PayPal card and the account used for all my ebay activity so my selling profits go into that account. All communication is addressed to me and the account balance is invisible when my wife does joint account checking on the internet!

It also means that the occaisional, infrequent foray into the land of shared accounts is more accepted HAHAHA oh what a life

It was even funnier last year when she discovered my hiding place of 16 years for my cash slush fund. Told her I was saving for a birthday present for her. Incredibly she found something that cost exactly what I had saved to the last £ (I didn't even realise she had counted it).

I have a feeling the appearance of an SLR, Drive and 5 lenses may just wrinkle her beautiful little button nose
    Regards Paul

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's an essential purchase, women have babies to play with, men have cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I understand how you feel Paul. I have an F5 that I really love.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Practice saying:

"I got it on eBay for $20."
    "I just could not pass it up because I need it to photograph our beautiful children."

Steve

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin