Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,014   Online: 893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know. I had a similar experience. A neighbor recently bought a digital camera and asked me to figure it out. I am an engineer after all. After inspecting it and trying to look intelligent, I handed it back and said "Hell I don't even know how to turn it on". Besides, if I have to take off my glasses and literally stick it an inch from my face to read the tiny icons and markings, it's too #%@% small!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveGangi @ Feb 2 2003, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I know.&nbsp; I had a similar experience.&nbsp; A neighbor recently bought a digital camera and asked me to figure it out.&nbsp; I am an engineer after all.&nbsp; After inspecting it and trying to look intelligent, I handed it back and said "Hell I don&#39;t even know how to turn it on". </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I think I&#39;ve been there, done that.... and have the T-shirt.

Stockholm a couple of years ago: I was engaged in taking the usual "tourist" photos wth the Hasselblads, complete with dangling light meter, wife wrangling spare lenses, etc, (come to think of it ... I HOPE they weren&#39;t "usual"), when, during a lull, a half of an oriental couple handed me this ... THING ... with the usual non-verbal sign language asking me to take their picture.

Uh... yeah. Right. I think this thing is a camera. I seem to see ... or rather, sense, a lens about here... and it&#39;s possible to look through here ...

After a coupe of stupid-look-filled minutes the oriental male realized that I had nothing resembling a clue ... and motioned to me where I should push.

A few years ago, my 35mm "axe" - an Olympus OM4 - was caught in a twelve-inch rainstorm that flooded my darkroom. I still have nightmares of opening the back and pouring out muddy water.
    Using the 30% rule - "If it costs more than 30% of the price of a new one to repair, buy a new one", I shopped around. I looked at an electronic wonder with all kinds of "Programs". From the manual- #1: Will operate the autofocus lens BEFORE setting the shutter speed and AFTER setting the aperture; #2: Will trip the shutter at the exact moment the moon becomes full; #3: ...

After five minutes or so, I realized that the only way I&#39;d use this puppy would be to disable everything ... and I had no hope of ever understanding WHY on earth a lens should be focused AFTER ... etc.

The OM4 ... impending discontinuance and all ... works fine. In fact, I think the repairs actually IMPROVED a lot of the operations.

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wonder if anyone really uses all the modes available on the modern electronic cameras. I suppose it is an attraction to have all these possibilities and options, but in reality, I would presume that most people have fewer than three setups they really like and use regularly.

Even on my F-1N (the version that came after the "n" mentioned above), I almost always leave it set on manual. If I use auto exposure, it&#39;s more to inject some spontaneity and randomness into my work than for anything else, kind of like using a Holga, and even then I&#39;ll turn it off when I really don&#39;t believe the meter or I&#39;ll use the exposure hold to get it to do what I want.

The Coolpix 990 has an all manual mode, but you can tell they designed it without expecting anyone to use it. There are two function buttons, and it is possible to assign exposure to one (press to toggle between aperture and shutter speed) and focus to the other, and then both are controlled by one thumbwheel. The thing is that the default mode for the thumbwheel is exposure, and you have to hold down a button while turning the wheel to adjust the focus, and there is no way to reverse them. Now anyone who has ever used a manual-focus camera knows that you are adjusting focus constantly, and adjusting the exposure only intermittently, so if they are going to offer manual focus as an option, it really ought not require holding a button down while turning the focus wheel.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

It may just be your level of comfort as to which camera you prefer. I am a big fan of Canon, owning an AE1 and an A1. Both are beautiful cameras. However, unless you get the pro models, some of the functions/buttons are redundant. For example, on the Canons, there is a portrait mode which is nice but many believe redundant. You are better off in one of the other modes (app. priority, shutter priority, etc.) so you can make a better photograph and capture what you want. All of the other buttons on cameras these days are for quick pics. The custom modes are good when you learn them.
    Visit my online gallery at www.cannonphotography.fotopic.net

I meant to say. naturally, that this is all IMHO. I had a problem in my gallery address. Below is the corrected one I hope.

Fixed again. Sorry.

Hello all. I am a new member checking in and posting for the first time on this excellent site.

(snip)...
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    steve,

I can learn the newer interfaces, but I'm afraid that the last camera they made that offered a semi-intuitive interface that was comfortable to use was the F2A.
    ...(snip)

I tend to agree with fparnold and I have to admit that the F2 is my all time favourite 35mm. I have one that I still use regularly for motorcycle racing images. It is in F2AS dress with an MB1/MD1 and a 300 f2.8. I don't have to get lost in a plethora of switches, dials and modes. Pressing the shutter button after focusing and adjusting the aperture is all that is needed (after exposure reading of course). It reminds me that electronic shutter releases are difficult to hold on the point of just tripping especially with AF or holding a specific exposure value when only half depressed.

Pleeeeeze Nikon, make the F2 again!
    JeffC

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    when i bought my canon eos500n, the big reasons i bought it was because the buttons were much easier to use than the other brands (and within the price region i had they did multiple exposures which the equiv minolta, olympus, nikon didn't do. i really wanted a minolta as well).

I do admit its a pain to hold back the shutter button halfway to see things when it stops after a short amount of time of lighting up. and that the dial could be a bit easier to use for some more advanced functions but once you get the hang of it its not too bad. I dunno abotu other canon eos' though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also own two canons... an older, all manual and a new elan7. I guess since I never had any other cameras (except cheap throw-aways) I never really thought about it!!

Welcome JeffC!!

Jeanette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin