Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,384   Online: 713

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I stick to my trusty Olympus OM40. It has three settings, Full auto, Aperture Priority and manual. I have never used the auto option. There are no LCD screens or metering options. And I Like It!
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The fanciest camera I have is a Nikkormat FTN. Oh I take that back, the fanciest is my Nikonos V underwater camera. It has an "A" setting on the shutter speed dial. Have yet to use it though.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Nikon F5, my girlfriend uses a Nikon f75 and my buddy uses a canon eos 3.

I have to tell you, F5 is the easiest to use..period. Everything is clearly printed, instead of canons little icons that don't really make sense, nikon writes the name of the function.viola! simple as that

so my list would be

1 Nikon F5
    2 Nikon F75
    3 Canon Eos3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I learnt on a Pentax S1a and moved to a Nikon F80 about 3.5 years ago. Everything on the Nikon just feels right and I *never* have to waste time looking for anything.

My friend has a Canon EOS 30 and the control on that just don't make sense to me: Reach all the way over to the left to turn it on?! Why, when you could have an on switch right next to the shutter-release? And why have exposure compensation on the rear thumbwheel where it's easy to knock so all your shots come out overed?!

It seems to work for him, though. I suppose the main thing is to find a system you're happy with and then hang on to it for dear life!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC
    Pleeeeeze Nikon, make the F2 again!
    Hey, it's possible. They brough back the S3 when there weren't really any lenses for it!

But what would you want from an F2 that a nice used one or a current FM doesn't provide?

On newer cameras: IGNORE THE ICONS, at least on Canons. They are just there as reminders. It's all about training your thumb to act on the buttons, and don't worry about reading the symbols. Do you look at the keys when typing?

Shoot a lot (empty or loaded) until it's second nature. It's the ONLY way to work unless you want to always be struggling with your gear instead of making pics.

My favorite SLRs for manual 35mm shooting were the F-1 and the RTS. Liked my F and F2 but traded 'em years ago. The viewfinders in the RTS & F-1 rule, and the RTS has that extra meter-on button that I like so much (goofy placement of the shutter dial tho).

Modern designs inevitably seem to ignore the left hand -- dumb IMO. I love having the aperture and focus in my left hand, as distinct physical tasks, rather than a multi-purpose modal command dial or wheel to over-burden my right hand, which should be busy shooting.

Canon, Contax, and Leica manual focus all turn the same way -- infinity on the right. Nikon and EOS turn the other way. Madcap focusing hijinx ensue!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin