Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,605   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have found the buttons and functions of Nikon and Minolta cameras (the Nikon N90s, especially) to be relatively easy to figure out. Canon cameras, however, often have me baffled. The buttons and functions have symbols that seem (to me) to be very cryptic. I'm not saying that Nikon and Minolta are better, or that Canon is bad. Nikon and Minolta are just easier for me to figure out. Anybody else have a preference as far as buttons and functions are concerned?

Prime.....The auto focus cameras made by Canon seem confusing to me also...My wife HATED my Minolta SRT101.She wasn't real happy with my C330 either.For her birthday I bought her an Elan 7e.She seems to understand the functions very quickly.I doubt I could remember all the icons and custom functions myself.Canon and Nikon seem to be the pace setters in the evoloution of 35mm photography.I'm not putting down Pentax or Minolta.I'm not going to use the "d" word either.One thing to remember is Canon honors all warranties,gray market or home market.Good luck with your decision...

That's exactly why I like my Pentax MZ5n (ZX5n) so much: the interface is the same as on SLR of 25 years ago.

The aperture is on the lens (with A), shutter on a knob on the right side of the body (with A). Both on A is P. No functions needs two knobs/buttons, just the one to change the ISO.

Of course Pentax doesn't have all the functionality the high end Canons and Nikons offer, but that's another story.

I bought a Canon EOS 50 about 4 years go and one of the rerasons was that the layout eas so much like the manual cameras i was used to.The Nikon and Minolta equivalents at the time were no wear near as user freindly

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My eyes glaze over when a student brings in a Canon. It should be easy, but I always recommend that they go back to their dealer for indepth instructions. Maybe it is those icons rather than numbers and to think i hated math in school.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

I have Nikon, my mother bought a Canon, and a friend just got a Minolta. All in all, I prefer the Nikon. The cameras are great ergonomically for me and the controls are logically laid out.

The Canon is OK but I have to take a few minutes to re-learn the camera every time I use it. The controls are fine once I get used to them but they don't make as much sense to me as the Nikon controls do.

The Minolta controls are clearly laid out but are an ergonomic problem for me. I guess my hands are just the wrong size or aren't as flexible as they should be.

JDG

Canon...but I bet I don't use 1/10th of its features. Understanding one tenth of the manual isn't too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Nikon F90x's and like JDG have figured out only the facilities I think are of use when I'm working and never use it in auto mode for I'm old fashioned and I just don't trust it. I know it's daft but the way I use it works for me.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I avoided this confusion altogether. My Canons are both from the 1970s - the controls are speed, aperture, focus. Nice and simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    steve,

Hear, Hear. I've looked at the newer Nikon bodies periodically, in the thought that it might be time to trade up to something for which parts are still officially available, and I just can't.... I can learn the newer interfaces, but I'm afraid that the last camera they made that offered a semi-intuitive interface that was comfortable to use was the F2A. As for the Canons, they passed my button-count comfort-level somewhere around 1982 with the A1. (not that this was all bad; my Uncle was kind enough to pass his Spotmatic on to me when he upgraded to the Canon) Newer ones are worse yet, in that they require a VCR-like manual before you can even turn them on.

My opinion (FWIW) is that if it feels like I'm starting a 747, rather than a camera, then it has too many buttons and functions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin