Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,548,993   Online: 814

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Actually the point about 35mm weight and size is something that's been talked about before. Modern 35mm cameras aren't that light. Add in all the lenses that 35mm users seem to want to carry and something like one of those light 4x5 field cameras seems easy to carry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my 35mm for snapshots, street photos, and as you said...scouting. Usually when I do use it to scout its because my MF or LF gear would be cumbersome to just wonder around with looking for shots. Then i can come back later if need be, with the larger cam and get the shot. Although lately it seems as though I never come back because I'm perfectly satisfied with the 35 negative. I find a lot of my pictures are of the 5x7 size and I can enlarge to that w/o seeing any loss in quality.
    RL Foley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 35mm camera is used if I need a 35mm negative for ease of lab processing - or a 35mm slide for projection. For ease of transportation, I'll take the Zenobia any day - also for scouting, although I don't go scouting much.
    The Bronica gets an outing if LF is too cumbersome (like boat trips), or I need commercial copies of top quality (weddings etc).
    "Street photography" is an equal mix between 35mm, Bronica, Perkeo and the Voigtländer Bergheil plate camera (!). It seems people feel less threatened by what they perceive as an "antique" camera.

As to percentages, I just looked at the great big heap of negatives and guesstimated from there
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Nikon. This is all I can afford.

F50 and F80 with 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 and 180mm f/2.8.

Badly want a 105mm f/2 or 85mm f/1.4

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    digital = polariod without the mess for scene setup. Well camera setup for the scene, you know what I mean.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    An interesting question.

35mm Nikon F2 and FE w/ 4 lenses - travel, informal
    Hasselblad 500c w/ 4 lenses - the 'in the car' camera
    Calumet CC402 w/ 4 lenses - when I'm in the mood
    Bender 8x10 with classic TR triple convertible - getting the hang of it
    And (horrors) a little Fuji Finepix for scouting and sharing snaps.

Undoubtedly lifetime emphasis in pounds of film shot etc is 35mm, after all that's what I really learned on. Favorite shots of all time are probably 50% medium format, 25% 4x5 and 25% 35. I know, I know, that's an entirely different question.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For 35mm, I own two fossilized Nikon F''s and an Nikkormat FT2. I think the meters work but I do not use them anyway. Exposure is usually by feel. 35mm lenses are 55 EL Nikor Macro, 28mm Nikor, and a 200mm Nikor. I use 35mm mostly for street work in NYC which can be alot of fun. Do not worry about what you can afford, work with what you have.

Side thought to share, I was reading from that other website about an ICP seminar given by a Magnum darkroom tech. Apparently they use alot of TRI-X developed in Microdol-X 1/3. Very fine grain and very sharp according to the comment about 16x20 prints.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Geez I use to use that combination 30 years ago! Can't do N+ or - with it very well though.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    Favorite: Calumet 4 x 5 View with 90, 135, 150, and 210 (not used as often as the other equipment, but leads to a much higher percentage of negatives which I eventually end up printing as personal material).
    For times (meetings, conferences, conventions, weddings) when a tripod is impractical or I'm just too lazy to lug the 4 x 5 stuff: Koni-Omega with 58, 90, and 180; Yashica-mat 124G; recently-acquired Fuji 6 x 7 rangefinder which could easily displace the Koni except for lack of interchangeable lenses and backs. Overall, my 120/220 exposures are probably at least several times those in all other formats combined, but most of them are done with other users in mind instead of for myself.
    For slides, notetaking, casual work, or situations when I know that one-hour color prints and/or nothing beyond 8 x 10 will be needed: Olympus OM-1 and OM-2000's with 28, 50, 100, 200, and a terrific Kiron 105 macro; several old Mirandas (by far the best design because their front-mounted shutter buttons allow squeezing and not jabbing downward--why doesn't every camera have this design?) which I use now only with 50mm or on a microscope because my old Miranda telephotos have oily diaphragms and don't stop down promptly.
    Just for fun: Franka 6 x 9 folder and Seagull 6 x 6/4.5x6 folder.
    Just-in-case camera: Canon G-III 35mm rangefinder which isn't far from needing new sealing foam but still gives excellent results.
    Wish-I-had-but-can't-justify-buying: Makina 67 or 670!

Some of equipment has been with me for over thirty years; maybe I'll still be using some of it thirty years from now.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since this is in the 35mm section, I will just mention what I use in 35... Canon FD, namely the FTb and AE-1

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin