Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,910   Posts: 1,521,590   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for Nikon Glass

I take and I take, I know. As soon as someone has a question I can help with, I'll give a little back.

In the mean time, I have yet another question I'd like to put forth. I sent my F5 in for repairs a few weeks ago; the auto focus was completely nonfunctional. Come to find out, the problem is (or was) the 50mm lens. Lucky thing I sent that in with the camera.

I do portraits and candid/documentary shooting, and the one lens wasn't going to cut it for long anyway (I'm the new kid on the Nikon block). I've been happy with KEH so far, so I'm sticking with them for now.

I'd say about $300 is my limit.

Depending on the credit situation, it may be more like $125.

Now, I'm opening the floodgates. What lens(es?) would you recommend?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do you like to shoot wide or tight?

A 28mm if you need to see wide.

A 105mm if you're looking to get closer.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would say that with the type of work you are trying to cover and the price of good Nikon lenses will dictate you purchase be a quality zoom rather than prime lenses. I faced a similar dilema myself and I recently bought a 24-85 AFS. Although not my first choice solution it was the best that I could afford. It has proven to give good results and us very quiet in operation. If you want better quality the 35-70 f2.8 would be a better choice but for $300 will probably need to be pre-loved. The 35-70 may be a bit short for what you need but once you start going beyond this sort of range the price starts getting high even for low quality lenses.

Of course you could always sell the F5 and get an N70/80/90 and use the extra cash to buy better glass.

Regards
    N

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get that 85mm 1.8D lens. It's exceptionally sharp and constrasty with a good build quality. It will also serve as a portrait lens and is functional in low light situations. If you look hard enough you can pick up a used one for about $300 and it will be worth every penny.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format

85mm f1.8

See advert in classifieds by wildbill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've seen some great reviews of the 85mm f/1.4 but this will probably be outside your price range. Therefore, I second the 85mm f/1.8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by midlife crisis View Post
    See advert in classifieds by wildbill
    That's what I was subtly hinting at.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    24mm, 50mm and 105mm (micro) would be a great combo.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens is a very good lens and I have it in the canon version. 105mm is a good focal length for portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience, ok?

I don't particularly care for zoom lenses. They're usually too slow for the way I like to work unless you get one of the f/2.8 constant aperture models. These can get pricey fast. Don't worry too much about the brand in this category. All of them will perform at least satisfactorily, and probably a lot better than that. Build quality is another issue, and one that should not be summarily dismissed, so look around and see what folks have to say about that. One would expect Nikkors to be above average in build quality, but don't discount Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina. These companies make quality products as well.

If prime lenses tickle your happy button, then your choice will be to stick with Nikkor lenses. I have a boatload of manual focus Nikkor primes and don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. For a walkabout kit, the 24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, and 85 f/2 go into the bag. The 24 f/2.8 might be a bit pricey on the used market. The 28 f/2.8 is an outstanding performer. They are all better than good, and all take relatively affordable 52mm filters and accessories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin