Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,629   Online: 844

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's get SMALL

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Let's get SMALL

I don't know about you folks, but 35mm is the format for me. I started out, like most of us with 35mm, using an Oly XA and Yashica GN. After reading about everyone raving about larger formats, I tried MF with an Agfa folder, then a Fuji 645, and a Fuji G690. Then I made the next step to 4X5 with a Crown Graphic. As wonderful as the photos were with the larger films, I found myself making fewer and fewer pictures. And now I have a Nikon N6006 and am taking tons of shots every day. And now I have my eyes on a Nikon F5. So I guess I;ll be a photographic Tiny Tim, and I love it.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Size matters.......................................

But not a lot, perhaps you are having a crisis :-)

I've been down the same route 35mm, stopped that 5 years ago , 120 - 645 only for commercial work, 5x4 my main format, 10x8 now my preferred but not always practical format.

I think what you are talking about is the different ways of working, and I've found it important to keep working in different ways.

Recently I've started shooting 35mm gain for personal work, anything larger is 5x4 or 10x8, and more recently (today) 6x17.

Even when you're an LF photographer it's fun to exlore with smaller formats and what better than 35mm

And going back to lets get small, I made a series of images from 5x4 negs and used my enlarger to reduce them, for a small book.

You have to balance what you are trying to say against what you perceive to be your audience.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I started shooting 4x5 I started taking fewer pictures however, more attention is given to composition, exposure, and desire to have the photograph itself.

Now, when I shoot 35mm, I find myself using the same technique as I did with 4x5 except that sometimes I will take extra shots (not really needed) since I know I have ample film available. These extra shots rarely are the best ones. I almost never use my motor drives anymore.

I should just shoot 12 exposure rolls but thats not the normal way of 35mm.

FWIW my 2 cents.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you need a Minox next.

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ha ha ya a Minox would be fun too. But first I have to get a shoe phone. When I have my cameras with me, I'm always looking at things differently, how to capture the shot, and even the Nikon is easy to carry around....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well.... Dunno about big heavy cameras like SLRs. I much prefer rangefinders. Although I have LOTS of other formats, up to 12x15 inch, and like a change from time to time, I still regard 35mm as my 'base state'. I probably enjoy using it most, too.

I had a Minox B 30 years ago and found it more trouble than it was worth, so I sold it. Then Frances wanted one, so we bought another; her reaction was exactly the same as mine. For me, 35mm full-frame (I have half-frame too) is the perfect balance of convenience and size. And good ones are cheap, even if you buy them new. My M4-P cost a lot, but 25 years later, the cost per annum (I'm still using it) is pretty low.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm fairly new to MF and trying to spend more time with 120. But today, besides taking out the Bronica ETRsi ,I just had to load a roll of Velvia into the F5 and take it along too. Almost like have two dogs of different breeds - neither of which wants to stay home when the other gets to go out!

Much as I'm liking MF - I'll always be a 35mm'er at heart!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    johnny9fingers, that is wonderful that you have found what works for you. I wish you the best.

I shoot 35mm, 6x12 and 4x5, and of these formats, I love 4x5 the most, because it works for my style. I find that those images that mean the most to me, were those taken with the 4x5, with lots of consideration and forethought given to each one. So much so, that right now I am considering whether to even take the 35mm with me on my next trip. It took me a few years to come to this conclusion.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey - it worked for ralph gibson and lee friedlander.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an on again, off again affair with 35mm cameras. It would take me a month or more to shoot a roll for development which led me to the more immediate 4x5 format. Now days I just open the camera, clip the roll, cut a new leader and develop what I shot; b&w of course. Why wait? Color of course is another matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin