Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,921   Online: 1025

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Back of my F100 doesn't close anymore

Hi,

today I was out shooting my small daughter, with my Nikon F100 and 200 AI lens mounted. All of a sudden I noticed that the camera back was not closed anymore.

Thinking I had inadvertently touched the lock release (?), I tried to snap it closed again with no luck. So I closed the camera on my bag, hoping that the light leak would be very limited (if any).

Once I home, I opened the back in the darkness of my bathroom, trying to close it, but it was just jumping back. So, I rolled back the Portra film (at 21 frames...), removed it and switched the light on.

Horror: :o :o The small piece(s) of plastic that keep the camera back closed have broken

Tomorrow I've got to call the Nikon service. The camera is not under warranty any more, and I am afraid that I have to replace the whole camera back...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That sucks. Had the latch that holds the back closes on my ELAN 7 break. Things break, especially if they are old or made out of plastic. Best advice is to bring a backup body along with you when you go shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy a multi-function back for the F100 on eBay for around $30 dollars. It might be cheaper than going to Nikon for a replacement.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was picturing your Ford pickup having rolled backwards down a hill with the tailgate open and CRUNCH! That would have been bad enough!! Not the Nikon!!!!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    You can buy a multi-function back for the F100 on eBay for around $30 dollars. It might be cheaper than going to Nikon for a replacement.
    This seems like very good advice.

I have just seen that the back can be easily removed (even without a tool)
    Last edited by sterioma; 05-02-2007 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma View Post
    This seems like very good advice.

I have just seen that the back can be easily removed (even without a tool)
    I was thinking of buying a MF-29 back for my F100 but hadn't had a real need to imprint dates. However, considering I've seen them sell of a low as $10 USD, it's almost too good of a deal to pass up. I've replaced the backs on my F90x camera's and it is literally a 1 minute procedure so don't feel hesitate about doing it yourself.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the end I had Nikon service replace it (I am lucky enough to live in the Italy city where the biggest Nikon service is located, so I don't have to pay shipping fees).

They charged me for the cost of the spare part only (around 40€ - the plain vanilla F100 back) and replaced it on the spot.

I did my math and shipping the MF-29 from the US to Italy would have been much too expensive and slow. Also, I couldn't find anything similar in Europe for in terms of low price.

Thanks for the tip anyway... And now I'll need to be more careful when loading the films

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I had the same problem with mine. Unfortunately I was photograhing a wedding and it sprang off, after about 12 frames, which was a total pain. Looking at the latch it's only rather flimsy plastic, which is not good on a fairly high end camera like this. My repair guy said that it is a common problem.
    I had to buy a bare bones new back (which cost $90.00) and replace the rollers etc from my old back. I don't think being careful has much to do with them breaking, I think it's just a matter of time.
    Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    At least it's just your film latch which failed, which is easily replaceable. It could be a whole lot worse, like the shutter or mirror box dying which is basically the entire camera's innards.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin