Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,005   Posts: 1,633,526   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hexar ?

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which Hexar ?

I've contemplated getting a Hexar AF for a couple years and am now gonna bite the bullet and get one. There are at least 3 versions that I know of, the original Black, the pinkish Rhodium, and the Silver. I've heard it's best to get the Silver as it is the most recent version and can be programed with the stealth mode. What is the experience you folks have with this fine camera.?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the black one, and it also has stealth mode. You'll find a fair amount of info on this camera on PhotoNet. This camera has a great lens and is very easy to carry around.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a black and a Titanium. They are both great. The difference is on the cosmetics. My favorite metal is rhodium, though...

So far, the problem I had is erratic shutter button. It's a very common problem, and the main complaint from users was that repair order to the Konica repair business got refused because of lack of parts. My website describes how to do this yourself.

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/ind...e=Konica_Hexar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ryuji, thanks for that, mine has the shutter button problem. Perfect!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a silver one with stealth mode programmed, and have been thinking about selling it. I hardly do any 35mm any more, I use a mamiya 6 almost exclusively these days. Contact me if interested, I guess I'd be asking ~$300, exc. condition except it's missing a screw in diopter / VF cover and has very minor scuffing on the back- neither issue affects pictures at all of course.

Anyway these are great cameras, the only major limitation in my opinion is the top shutter speed.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Anyway these are great cameras, the only major limitation in my opinion is the top shutter speed.
    One thing many bokeh "authorities" don't mention is that, lens shutter with modest top speed is actually good for bokeh, if used at or near the top speed. Should Konica mention this in the product announcement, the camera would've sold a bit more? Maybe...

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks to all for your reponses, and thank you Keith for the offer, I have sent you a PM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    One thing many bokeh "authorities" don't mention is that, lens shutter with modest top speed is actually good for bokeh, if used at or near the top speed. Should Konica mention this in the product announcement, the camera would've sold a bit more? Maybe...
    I don't see why fast shutter speed would affect bokeh, unless it forces you to work wide open where aperture-leaf effects are moot.

Anyway I agree that the camera could have been better marketed. But I have the same complaint about so many cameras and films...!

And the lens on the hexar is really amazing. I bought the camera basically as a top-notch 35/2 which happens to have an AF body attached.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I don't see why fast shutter speed would affect bokeh, unless it forces you to work wide open where aperture-leaf effects are moot.
    No, that's not the reason. The shutter leaves don't move fast enough, so that the axis is open for the longest time, and the periphery is open for the less duration of the total exposure. It creates a temporal distribution of a shaded aperture, which is known to improve bokeh, both in front and back of the sharp focus. The same goal could be achieved by a aperture diaphragm of a single sheets with big hole at the center and many small holes toward periphery. It it could be achieved by shaded filter with clear center and density builds up toward the edge, in place of aperture blade.

It doesn't have to be Hexar's shutter. It can be Auto S2 or other older rangefinders with a lens shutter.

And the lens on the hexar is really amazing. I bought the camera basically as a top-notch 35/2 which happens to have an AF body attached.
    And that free body is amazing too. It has quirky operation due to the age of electronic design, but manageable. It's awesome for IR photography, stealth street photo, snapshot and a lot more. I wish it had a PC socket but that's a minor problem. Shutter release attachment, strap loop size, many little issues... but the whole thing is great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin