Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,141   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei 35 SE ripping film, or is it me?

The happy news: I received yet one more camera today, a lovely Singapore-made Rollei 35 SE.

The bad news: The first test film kept going on and on forever, and rewinding it was only a matter of "a few frames". On closer examination, the perforation of the film seems to be torn. Offering up this film and trying a bit more: sometimes it advances without a problem, sometimes the sprockets in the camera just rip a few sprocket holes in the film to create one big sprocket hole .

Tried to search APUG and the rest of the internet, but couldn't find much about it.

So, maybe it's just me. I'm using 10 year old FP4+. No problem with fogging or whatever so far. But maybe *this* is a problem of somewhat older emulsion: more prone to breaking? Could that be? Or am I just doing something wrong? Or could there be some problem with the Rollei?

It's a lovely camera, but with this problem, it's not going to be used... And that's what I bought it for: to use it!

Any ideas, anyone?

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm RF
    during rewind or during advance?
    I had the same problem this past winter with my 35S during rewind when I forgot to move the rewind lever up. that's the lever next to the tip of the film advance lever. moving it to 'R' position allows the film advance gear to spin backwards when rewinding.
    in very cold weather the film leader also tends to break due to the design of the spool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by limsoonchung View Post
    during rewind or during advance?
    Unfortunately during advance already

in very cold weather the film leader also tends to break due to the design of the spool.
    That shouldn't be the problem now ...but still, good to be aware of. Thanks!
    Last edited by kraker; 05-03-2007 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    The happy news: I received yet one more camera today, a lovely Singapore-made Rollei 35 SE.

The bad news: (...) sometimes the sprockets in the camera just rip a few sprocket holes in the film to create one big sprocket hole .

So, maybe it's just me. I'm using 10 year old FP4+. No problem with fogging or whatever so far. But maybe *this* is a problem of somewhat older emulsion: more prone to breaking? Could that be?
    Talking to myself. You know what? The mechanics of the camera *look* OK (to my untrained eye), and I hope I can blame it on the aged film or on some "operator error" (that would be me). I'm just going to try another (fresh!) film.

As a side note: WHAT a lovely camera... Smaller even than my dust-gathering d*g*tal gizmo.

shuttr.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a problem with ripping perfs a couple of times on my Rollei 35 when I first got it and hadn't gotten the hang of it yet, but haven't had any in a while. Are you experienced with these cameras?

-Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a common problem with the Rollei 35. The film advance roller is very small in diameter, and as a result, exerts a lot of torque on the film. The tearing usually happens at the end of a roll, when you try to advance the film and cannot; just a little too much force on the advance lever will tear the sprocket holes. It's happened to me several times. Then when you try to rewind the film, the torn edges can catch inside the camera and tear even more.
    And if you are processing your own film on reels, torn film edges will not wind onto SS film reels...!
    Also, if there is any restriction on the film when you try to advance it, you can tear the holes. You have to learn to use the film advance lever gently!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim elder View Post
    I had a problem with ripping perfs a couple of times on my Rollei 35 when I first got it and hadn't gotten the hang of it yet, but haven't had any in a while. Are you experienced with these cameras?

-Tim
    No, I'm not experienced with the various Rollei 35 models yet, and I admit that film transport is different in them than anything I've seen. So, maybe I just need more practice. Thanks!

shuttr.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    This is a common problem with the Rollei 35. The film advance roller is very small in diameter, and as a result, exerts a lot of torque on the film. The tearing usually happens at the end of a roll, when you try to advance the film and cannot; just a little too much force on the advance lever will tear the sprocket holes. It's happened to me several times. Then when you try to rewind the film, the torn edges can catch inside the camera and tear even more.
    And if you are processing your own film on reels, torn film edges will not wind onto SS film reels...!
    Also, if there is any restriction on the film when you try to advance it, you can tear the holes. You have to learn to use the film advance lever gently!
    Thanks for your reply. At least from these replies, it is clear to me that it is not neccessarily a problem with *my* Rollei. More a "general problem" with these Rolleis, I guess it just takes some getting-used-to. And indeed, I have to learn to use the film advance lever gently.

I'll see if the current roll of film will work better...

Also, the seller has already offered to have a look at it and see if anything needs to be repaired. Good to know, but for the moment, I'm still putting the blame on myself and lack of experience with this particular camera.

shuttr.net

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is interesting. I didn't know it was a common problem, but it's the main reason I got rid of my Rollei 35, some years ago.

My equivalent camera today is an Olympus Pen W half-frame with the amazingly sharp 25/2.8 lens -- but it is only a half-frame...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Kraker,
    I've got a 35B with the same problem. but when I press the back of the camera while advancing the film the problem is not there anymore. I this it's a problem with the backplate that pushes the film against the advance wheels. I've modified the steel spring device of the backplate a bit to get more tension on the film. maybe this helps.

Cheers,

ijsbeer
    ps could have typed in Dutch but this is the non-dutch part of Apug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin