Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,853   Online: 917

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which lens hood for Nikkor 35-70 f3.3-4.5AF?

Hi,

I would like to complement my Nikkor zoom 35-70 f3.3-4.5AF with a lens-hood (I am planning to bring this lens with me for my next summer vacations). However I have not been able to discover which is the designation of the right Nikon lens hood.

Any idea? I have been thinking about recycling the one which came with my 28/3.5 AI lens, but there might be better matches.

Thanks,
    Stefano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/.../overview.html

That one? If so you need this one -)

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/.../overview.html

The one for the 28mm is going to be too wide at all focal lengths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stefano, the HN-2 lens hood is the correct lens hood for two Nikkor lens sizes with 52mm screw size.

All of the 28 mm lenses and the 35-70 zoom in it's different versions.

I have both the 28 2.8 and the 35-70 3.3~4.5 Nikkor lenses and use the HN-2 for both.

When you fit one filter onto the 35-70 then the HN-2 lens hood you do not get any vignetting, which is as it should be.

Also, as it is a metal hood, it offers quite good protection if your camera is swinging from a strap.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you guys for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    It's actually this one http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...index.htm#MKII.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fagan
    Stefano, the HN-2 lens hood is the correct lens hood for two Nikkor lens sizes with 52mm screw size.
    I have seen a picture of the NH-2 lens hood and I cannot tell any difference with the one I have, which only says "f=2.8cm Nikon F JAPAN". It may just be older but I think the geometry is the same. Well, I just need to take a few shoots and check it out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How well does a hood for a 28mm work at the 70mm end?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon for years has used the same part #'s and simply added focal lengths to the description. An HN-2 from 30 years ago is the same as an HN-2 from the last production. Some of the newer hoods may have added engravings. ie 28/2 28/2.8 28/3.5 etc.
    None of the hoods provided for zooms are all that good at the longer fl's So no it's not real effective at 70mm. So what. If it's that important to you, use primes.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If it's that important to you, use primes.
    I usually use primes, but I am planning to bring this lens only with me for my upcoming vacations to stay light.

I don't usually shoot into the sun, up to today I've always been happy even without a hood for this lens. I just wanted to be sure that the one I have for 28mm would do the trick, at least at shorter focal lengths

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sterioma,
    the comment on prime lenses wasn't really directed at you. Sorry.
    With zooms life is a compromise what works at one end don't at the other.
    Use your HN-2 and all will be well with the world and your karma will earn frequent flyer miles.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin