Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 707

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like Ole, I sometimes use an enlarging lens on 35mm camera bellows via adaptors. There are shortcomings: a longer than normal enlarging lens is necessary to permit focusing on distant subjects, the smallest aperture sometimes doesn't give adequate DOF for macro photograhy, and one must calculate the effective f/number. I've been happy with the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarger lens on camera

Hi,

When I remove the front adaptor ring from my Novoflex
    bellows, the M39 Female threads fit the threads on
    my EL-Nikkor 50mm f/4 Enlarging lens. Use it on a Nikon F2AS
    for extreme close up, flat field photography. Stamps,
    coins, and the like. Works fine, except bellows won't
    compress enough to get to infinity, which is why I
    have a 50mm f/1.4 for normal work.

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I shot a roll through the camera last weekend, and the upcoming weekend I'll be printing from it. So far the negs look good, but since it's 35mm it's difficult to tell without a decent lupe. They appear to have normal densities, good sharpness, even contrast control looks well managed.

Thanks again for all of the enlightening contributions. I'll be sure to post my results here some time next weekend.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heck. You can use that enlarging lens as a decent loupe as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Try it - You May Like It!
    If it works for you, why worry about what the "experts" say.

Many a good image has been made with a lens that isn't supposed to work. If there had not been experimenters in our past we would be without most of the items which are common in our every day lives.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find a camera that was in one of those early 35mm film recorders used to turn out powerpoint slides in the late 80's, early 90's, then more than not, the recording mechanism is a motor drive 35mm with a custom, fixed focus enlarger lens mount set at 1:1 (or whatever the target/frame ratio was).

I have one of those mounts around here, but can't remember off hand what mount is for; Chinon maybe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Finally printed some...

So I finally printed some negs taken with the Schneider Componar 105mm... It came out surprisingly well. I think I'll keep using it as a camera lens. I have to learn to use it in a portrait setting first, but it really works!
    Nice density in the negs, wonderful sharpness, but most of all I was shocked by the contrast control. Attached below is a scan of a print.
    Details:
    Lens: Schneider Componar 105mm enlarger lens. On DIY barrel and focusing ring. Mounted to a Pentax KX body with the K-mount.
    Film: Fuji Neopan 1600 @ 640, souped in Pyrocat-MC using semistand technique.
    Printed: on Ilford MGIV in Ansco 130 diluted 1+1

I'm VERY surprised by the results.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wm Obrien 2007 001s.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Huh. That's a little inspiring.

Shooter
    35mm

enlaeger lens on 35mm

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    In your opinion, what are the differences optically between an enlarging lens and a camera lens? Why would one design be used for one purpose over another?

Curious,

- Thomas
    An 80mm enlarger lens is designed for medium format, and so when mounted on a 35mm camera will have a much larger image circle than a 35mm lens. It is possible to use a piece of black rubber (e.g. from a bathroom plunger) with a hollowed out body cap to create a flexible mount for such a lens - hence giving you a cheap tilt and shift lens. This is basically the idea behind a lensbaby, but at a fraction of the cost - enlarger lenses are going for peanuts on ebay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin