Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,553   Online: 830

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

zeiss/contax lenses -which ones?

hey...

i'm just curious as to the personal experiences some might have with the 50 f1.7 vs the 50 f1.4 zeiss lenses for contax 35mm cameras. as well the same question for the 28 f2.8 and the 28 f2. i have the opportunity to buy the 50 f1.4 and the 28 f2 for pretty good prices. i already have the 50f1.7 and the 28f2.8, but would consider switching and selling my other lenses if the results are better.

thanks....jordan.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have no clue, but I'm waiting for their Leica mount 18mm f/4.0 to appear. I'd love to try it out.

I'm sure the lenses you're looking at are great.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both the 50 f/1.7 and 50 f/1.4 and never noticed a practical difference. A long time ago I read an article that said the f/1.4 tested better, but the time spent thinking about it would be better spent in the darkroom or shooting, for sure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Unless you need the extra speed of the f/1.4 or you're one of those freaks who insists on always shooting a lens wide open and never ever stopped down, the f/1.7 should prove to be all that you need.

However, if you find that you're doing a lot of low-light shooting, the faster lenses might come in handy.

Keep in mind that faster lenses in general are larger and heavier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not get a different focal length? The 85 1.4 is incredible. Actually all Zeiss glass for the Contax is incredible, except for some zooms. You just can't go wrong. Remember too that a deal is only a good deal if it is something you need.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    patrickjames....i'm already getting the 85 and 135 tomorrow.

elekm....i do shoot quite a bit of low light in alleyways and under bridges so it would come in handy. mostly though, it has a brighter viewfinder than the 1.7 and ontop of that has a closer focusing distance. since i can probably sell my 50 1.7 for the same price i'm buying this 50 1.4, it's pretty much just trading in one for the other. but thanks for the advice, because i keep that "if you don't need it, why get it?" frame of mind when it comes to spending a lot more on something "new".

speaking of which, does anyone have experience with the 28 f2?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin