Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,315   Online: 992

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon EL2

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon EL2

Hello!

My first post here at APUG!

My questions are: Where can I find a rubber eyepiece for the EL2? Does anyone know the nikon number for it, and are there any alternatives? Where can I find a seal replacement for it? Any advice, adoration for the camera, sources of EL2 accessories and tips would be deeply appreciated.

I have an N-80 that I use mainly for slides, but I always was fascinated by those METAL cameras. I just took a chance and purchased a used EL2 on eBay after looking at the specs at the MIR photography site - it looked really good in the photos, and there is a refund policy in case it is a lemon (which I hope it's not).
    This is my first manual camera and i'm looking forward to feeling the glide of the mechanical film advance lever lol :-) I'll be using my existing lenses that I have (the kit 28-70, 50 1.8D and a 50-135 3.5 AIS - which i'll be able to meter with yayy!)

I love photography! What fired up my juices was when 2 out of 4 of my photos were runner-ups in a photography contest, and were displayed in a museum here in town. Needless to say, since then i've been learning everything I can. I wish I could afford a larger format, as i've seen some prints that were just superb from 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras, and i've had format-envy ever since. But for now it's 35mm, so 35mm is my friend! Sorry for the ramble, and I am looking forward to being an active participant at APUG!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, the same place you found your camera, eBay, will have much of what you're looking for - particularly new seals (if you really need them).

Where in the world are you? If we know where you are - we can direct you to sources in your area that can do a "CLA" (i.e. clean, lubricate, adjust).

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi George :-)

I live in Milwaukee, WI - I just edited my profile and my location should show up now.

Milwaukee seems almost too quiet on the photography front, but perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. The only camera outfit I know of in Downtown Milwaukee is Ritz, which is a shame as i'd love to look at and handle some of those cameras I see on the net. All ritz has is the fairly pedestrian digit*l offerings, and perhaps an N-75 or somesuch.

I went to eBay, but there do not seem to be any other eye-cups for the EL2 that i'm aware of, except for one which is at auction (i'm watching it now).

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Nikon EL2 and a Nikon F3 - the eyepieces for a Nikon F3 fit the EL2. I got mine on e-bay. Make sure you get one for an F3 not an F3HP.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nikon-Viewfi...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    I have a Nikon EL2 and a Nikon F3 - the eyepieces for a Nikon F3 fit the EL2. I got mine on e-bay. Make sure you get one for an F3 not an F3HP.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nikon-Viewfi...QQcmdZViewItem

Good advice about not getting one intended for the F3HP. The article number is DK-4 I believe.

The eBay reference given above is for an eye-piece, not an eye-cup.

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the replies thus far :-)
    I received the camera today and on first inspection it looks pretty good! The body is in excellent shape. The only thing I see that needs attention is that the foam needs replacing, as it is sticky. Is this a do-it-yourself kind of job? Also, it needs a battery - is it generally available in a camera shop/walgreens?
    I know that I can still make exposures at 1/90 (am I correct that the sunny 16 rule applies at ISO 100 film at f16 @ 1/90 will result in a correct exposure?)
    Need I say that i'm a fairly green photographer that is learning how to puzzle out the arcana of manual cameras after auto-everything cameras? lol

I did find a eyepiece/cup - thank you for the leads.

-Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sollumen View Post
    Thank you for the replies thus far :-)
    I received the camera today and on first inspection it looks pretty good! The body is in excellent shape. The only thing I see that needs attention is that the foam needs replacing, as it is sticky. Is this a do-it-yourself kind of job? Also, it needs a battery - is it generally available in a camera shop/walgreens?
    I know that I can still make exposures at 1/90 (am I correct that the sunny 16 rule applies at ISO 100 film at f16 @ 1/90 will result in a correct exposure?)
    Need I say that i'm a fairly green photographer that is learning how to puzzle out the arcana of manual cameras after auto-everything cameras? lol

I did find a eyepiece/cup - thank you for the leads.

-Robert
    Hi Robert,

Cannot advise about seals or foam beyond the eBay recommendation but you might want to shoot a roll or two before doing anything. BTW: I've never done it - but I do believe it is a D-I-Y kind of job.

As to batteries, it probably uses the 1.5v LR-44 (either one or two). I used to have one but don't remember.

The best thing to do is to get a user's manual - since it seems you don't have one. You can get one at:

http://www.craigcamera.com/

I have no connection with this nice fellow except as a satisfied customer.

BTW: Sunny 16 at 100 ISO would probably be best at 1/125.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This should answer questions about the power switch and battery type.
    http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/port...ousins08-e.htm

The battery is equivalent to four 1.5V SR44 batteries in a stack, 6V total to run the electronics it used. Some alternate battery numbers might be:
    A544 PX28 V4034PX L1325 GP476A 4LR44 4AG13

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    This should answer questions about the power switch and battery type.
    http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/port...ousins08-e.htm

The battery is equivalent to four 1.5V SR44 batteries in a stack, 6V total to run the electronics it used. Some alternate battery numbers might be:
    A544 PX28 V4034PX L1325 GP476A 4LR44 4AG13

Lee
    Thanks Lee for coming in. I couldn't remember the nomenclature for the "better" batteries. SR44 is the longer lasting equivalent to the LR44. I don't find much of a big deal with using the LR's since they are cheaper than dirt on eBay.

As Lee indicates, if you use either one (SR-44 or LR-44) you will need to stack 4 of them in series (i.e. pos to neg). I think the other nomenclature, 4LR44 (and other with a "4" as the leading part of the number) is basically a kind of pre-made stack to give you a 6v battery!

Anyway, they are common - if not at your local drugstore - then at a Radio Shack (but just buy what you need for now - they are much, much cheaper if bought in bulk on eBay).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference between the LR44 and SR44 batteries can be important, depending on the camera.

LR44's are generally alkaline batteries, while SR44s are Silver oxide.

The alkaline batteries have a voltage profile that changes as the batteries discharge. The Silver oxide batteries generally maintain a much more stable voltage over their life. Some cameras are susceptible to voltage changes, while others are not.

I do not know whether the Nikon EL2 is one of the cameras that suffers when the voltage isn't consistent. Reference to the user manual for the camera might help answer that question.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin