Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,852   Online: 1105

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

oh snap! -scratches on zeiss lenses.

just wondering how much you guys know about scratches and big dust specs in lenses....

85 f1.4- lots of little scratches and one spec that looks like it goes right to the glass just off the middle of the lens. back element is perfectly fine.

hasselblad zeiss 80 f1.8 -some minor cleaning marks on the front element. everything else is fine.

50 f1.4- has a big nasty (looks like a metal shaving) inside the lens. nothing on front or rear element.

are these issues to be concerned with? i paid $350cad for the 50 and 85, so i'd rather not return them if the issues are minimal. i knew it was too good to be true! i asked him in person when i bought them if i'd be disappointed and he said it shouldn't matter, but if i'm disappointed i can return them whenever. as for the hasselblad, i'm pretty much stuck with it.

some background info might help -i shoot black and white film mostly (but am getting into more colour) and blow up my pics from 8x10 to 20x20 (larger once i get the capabilities). i think this might be relevant.

thanks for your replies!...jordan.

Shooter
    35mm
    For C$350, you probably got a good deal. The small scratches and speck (depending on its size) will increase the level of flare on the 85, so you'll need to be careful about using the right lens hood, but the lens should still give you good performance and is worth the money by itself. The "big nasty" in the 50 could have a worse effect, and may also indicate mechanical problems--but in the long run the best thing to do is to shoot several rolls of film with both and see how they enlarge. Chances are, though, that both will give you good images. Best, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the speck in the 50 is metal or dust and is just sitting there it's an easy fix. Typically remove the front or rear group & pluck it out. Reassemble. As long as you don't introduce fingerprints or some other flotsam it's no big whip.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin