Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,738   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Filters

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob Atkins' article that JG Motamedi mentions above is a good one.

I use UV filters to filter UV (see Atkins article to find out which ones are really effective) or when there's an obvious hazard like sea spray or sand or crowds. I don't use a filter otherwise unless there's a photographic reason for doing so. I do use lens shades to shade and protect the lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually it was David who told me about the article.

I have found that in everyday use UV filters are of questionable value in reducing UV haze, but are quite effective in preventing fingerprints on glass, particularly from inquisitive 2 year-old fingers...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I make the choice per lens. On my Contax G lenses, which have large screw-on metal hoods, I've foregone the UV's.

On my heavy Canon 24-105 L, which has a shallow plastic petal hood and a large exposed lenses element, the UV goes on (a nice one, B+W, to avoid flare)

Flare is the greatest hazard of any UV filter. Any filter at all, actually.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm

UV and Skylight Filters

Quote Originally Posted by reub2000 View Post
    It seems like a lot of people put a UV filter on the front of their lens to protect it. I've also heard that it cuts out haze. Does a UV filter in front of a lens really do anything?
    It costs money, it introduces higher possibility of flare. It does nothing to protect the lens from breakage (from dropping) that a hood won't do. Why would you put a cheap piece of glass in front of a good lens unless you were interested in degrading picture quality?

There may just be a reason why a filter costs 8X or 10X from a vendor like B+W than the el cheapo kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Well dust and dirt, and minor scratches seem to have little effect on image quality. I protect the front element of my lens using a lens hood."

"Why would you put a cheap piece of glass in front of a good lens unless you were interested in degrading picture quality?"

So if dust, dirt and scratches on the lens do not degrade picture quality, why would a piece of optical glass degrade picture quality?

If my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to come up with a single picture I've made that was degraded because of a UV filter. On the other hand, I can come up with thousands of shots degraded by my own carelessness. Makes the issue of using a UV filter or not pale in comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    "Well dust and dirt, and minor scratches seem to have little effect on image quality. I protect the front element of my lens using a lens hood."

"Why would you put a cheap piece of glass in front of a good lens unless you were interested in degrading picture quality?"
    So if dust, dirt and scratches on the lens do not degrade picture quality, why would a piece of optical glass degrade picture quality?

If my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to come up with a single picture I've made that was degraded because of a UV filter. On the other hand, I can come up with thousands of shots degraded by my own carelessness. Makes the issue of using a UV filter or not pale in comparison.

Many times taking photos on the beach or in the mountains, I have cleaned dust off my filters. I have always been glad that it was on the filters which are cheap to replace than on the lens. I would rather have a scratched filter than a scratch in the coating of a lens.

Yes, lenshoods can prevent damage from impact, but not damage to the surface of a lens from dust or branches. These points are observable and provable.

When taking photos of mountains in the distance the UV, Haze or Skylight filters make a difference because of the water vapor and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. These are observable facts. [No, they will not remove smog nor will they improve the composition of a photograph.] Others in this thread have pointed out articles discussing the wavelength cut off of these products, so I will not repeat their technical points.

Frankly, this forum is a techincal forum. Arguments that are completely emotional and devoid of scientific or photographic backup are WOMBATs*.

*WOMBAT = Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only lens I have a UV filter on is my macro lens. I take lots of pictures of insects and such so mine is used mainly for protection. I've had several Praying Mantids attack my lens, I've had frogs and grasshoppers jump straight into my lens, I've even had a territorial dragonfly attack my lens.

If you get a good quality filter, it won't degrade the shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    The only lens I have a UV filter on is my macro lens. I take lots of pictures of insects and such so mine is used mainly for protection. I've had several Praying Mantids attack my lens, I've had frogs and grasshoppers jump straight into my lens, I've even had a territorial dragonfly attack my lens.

Attacked by insects! Now that is a new one for me!

Very valid points.

Thank you,
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post

I've shot with lenses that many specs of dust on the front element. I don't see any diminished quality because of it. The dust blows off with a rocket air blower.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin