Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,267   Online: 835

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UV Filters

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000 View Post
    I've shot with lenses that many specs of dust on the front element. I don't see any diminished quality because of it. The dust blows off with a rocket air blower.
    I'm not really sure what my previous post has to do with dust on a lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=Lee Shively;468514. . . If my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to come up with a single picture I've made that was degraded because of a UV filter. [/QUOTE]

I quit using protective Leica UV filters on my M2 when they caused occasional ghost images in night photography. I did retire one Summicron due to excessive cleaning in adverse environments. That cost a fraction of the film and printing expenses for images with that lens. It still delivers sharp photos where flare isn't a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct me if I am wrong, but filters are a problem when they are of poor quality because filters both transmit and refract light, and therefor can add optical distortion to the lens. Dust and dirt, unless there in great quantity, only cut down on the light transmitted.

Grease, because it can refract light in certain circumstances, can do both.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    I'm not really sure what my previous post has to do with dust on a lens.
    Opps, I meant to quote Lee, not you. My mistake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but filters are a problem when they are of poor quality because filters both transmit and refract light, and therefor can add optical distortion to the lens.
    Agree. Buy the best filters you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Dust and dirt, unless there in great quantity, only cut down on the light transmitted.
    Grease, because it can refract light in certain circumstances, can do both.
    Matt
    Dust and grease can affect photographs whether they are on a filter or a lens. I would rather clean a filter and discard it when its coating gets worn then replace a lens when its coating gets warn. YMMV. If you are independently wealthy then this comment may not apply to you.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000 View Post
    Opps, I meant to quote Lee, not you. My mistake.

Just checking. I couldn't quite make the connection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    Dust and grease can affect photographs whether they are on a filter or a lens. I would rather clean a filter and discard it when its coating gets worn then replace a lens when its coating gets warn. YMMV. If you are independently wealthy then this comment may not apply to you.

Steve
    Steve:

My post was in response to the apparent confusion here between the effects of low quality filters, and the effects of dust and dirt. In my somewhat unclear manner, I was trying to make it more clear that the effects are different, and should not be confused.

I agree that there is a real practical advantage to filters, as long as they are carefully chosen and maintained.

As to independent wealth, I remain in hope...

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't really start this thread to debate the effectiveness of clear filters in protecting a lens.

I think I got my answer. A UV filter will make distant objects seem less hazy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin