Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,638   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Filters

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

UV Filters

It seems like a lot of people put a UV filter on the front of their lens to protect it. I've also heard that it cuts out haze. Does a UV filter in front of a lens really do anything?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clear lens cap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, it protects the lens, and reduces haze a little.
    It's primary purpose is to reduce the blue cast obtained in colour work from excessive Ultra Violet light.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon have two UV filters. L37, L37C and L39.

The L37 eliminates invisible UV light and haze, but has no effect on visible light. The L37C features Nikon Integrated Coating (NIC) to unfavourable light reflection. The L37(C) eliminates UV light shorter than 370nm in wavelength.

The L39 absorbs that shorter than 390nm. The L39 produces prominent effects in B&W photography.

The L37C can be left on the lens as a lens protector.

That is the instructions on the Nikon filter paper that came with my Nikon filters when I purchased them 25 years ago.

To be honest I tried to see a difference between the L39, L37 and L37C using B&W film I couldn't detect any. I have since relegated them to just run of the mill lens protector.

With B&W, I find I have far more difference using coloured filters, like Yellow, Orange and Red.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use them for protection. I stopped using them for a spell but noticed my front elements needed much too frequent cleaning so I'm using them again. When they get scratched, I toss them out and buy another. They make nice clear lens caps, as previously noted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is like Mac vs Windows. There are arguments for both using and not using them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I took a fall on a trip in China the B+W yellow 67mm filter took the hit on the paving stones on its edge and cracked. The zeiss lens was uninjured. May never happen again but if it does there will be a filter on the lens.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well dust and dirt, and minor scratches seem to have little effect on image quality. I protect the front element of my lens using a lens hood.

Can anyone post an example of the filters effect on haze?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They help the filter manufacturer make money.
    Louie

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi one and all!
    I have used an UVfilter since I had gotten the Minolta. It was simply there on the 50 mm lens and I only noticed it being on there a few months back. That's how much of a "noobie" I am!!
    If you care to check out "Ducks in Silhouette" in the Gallery, [my image] I did indeed use the filter. It certainly cuts the reflective glare from the pool's water.
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin