Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,369   Online: 865

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Minolta XD11 seems to be a quiet camera -- at least for an SLR.

Not all rangefinders are quiet. The Voigtlander Prominent makes a lot of racket for a leaf-shutter rangefinder.

The Retina IIIS probably is the quietest camera that I own -- noticeably quieter than a Leica LTM or M. The Retina IIa also is quiet.

My Contax II (black dial) is very quiet when shooting at 1/50 and slower. A Rolleiflex TLR also is quiet.

My Werra makes a little "ping!" when the shutter is released.

With some manual cameras, there's a lot of noise emitted when the film is advanced -- a lot of clicking and ratcheting. And with motor-driven cameras, that's another issue altogether.
    Last edited by elekm; 05-15-2007 at 01:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Sparky,

what kind of blimb do you mean? I only know those for cine-cameras.
    No - not the 'blow-up' kind as suggested by the other poster... they DO use these on film sets though.

this kind.
    http://www.soundblimp.com/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sparky,

Thank you for that interesting hint. That range of blimps employs a damping layer plus a stiff outer, what should make it the most effective concerning passive noise reduction (plus the fact that all openings are isolated too).

But (besides the fact that I don’t own an autofocus SLR) I’m a bit reluctant to control focussing, exposure and shutter just by one button.

Getting my Canon FD equipment silent somehow is on my projects list, but at the moment I spend my time posting at APUG…

Shooter
    35mm
    AgX,

If you own Canon's Elan series and above cameras (Elan 7, 3, 1-series), you can always reprogram the shutter button to only manage exposure, and the * button at the back for focusing using your thumb. It's more accurate than just trusting exposure and focusing on the shutter button. I think it's under custom function 4 - 1.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look at those blimps (casings would be more appropriate) Sparky referred to, you will see that the cameras are controlled by a button outside the casing.
    Of course one could open the camera and rewire the whole thing...
    But I'm quite old fashioned, even on a motion camera I prefer those real wheels for focussing to those rocker keys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin