Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,562   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

what features do you like/dislike on different cameras or lens systems?

what features do you like/dislike on different cameras or lens systems?

Examples:

I really like the cannon FD lens mount. Its really easy to mount/unmount the lens with one hand. On some other cameras you have to use one hand to press a button on the body with one hand, and remove the lens with the other hand. Also the red dot on the canon FD lenses is right at the top so its easy to see and match up when mounting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the fact that any brand of lens can be used on most any brand of 5x4. How much richer would we all be if you could do that on MF and 35mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the way Canon EOS bodies fit my hands and the controls fall exactly where they should (for me). I like the way Leica rangefinders are small and light and they don't cause my arthritic neck to have spasms at the end of the day. I like the way Pentax 645 cameras handle like big 35mm SLR's but I wish they weighed the same as the Leica rangefinders.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like Lee, I like how Canon's cameras' controls make sense to me. I know a lot of people say Nikon builds better bodies, but I tried out a Nikon F6 the other day in a camera store and the controls are located in weird places on the body. I also like the sensitivity of Canon's professional 45-point AF system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something is usually lost on modern cameras . . . . . . . simplicity.

For 35mm there's nothing better than Leica M3, and it's simple add-on meter, with great accurate and sharp tonal Leitz lenses, or a screw thread Pentax Spotmatic, thats my preferances but I'm sure I could have found equally ecellent cameras from other manufacturers.

What I really don't want is any program modes, just a speed dial and an aperture ring, I want total control.

Of course with LF I have all this control, and so I must use my brain.

What I hate is cameras that try to think, like Canon EOS's, I shoot many thousands of images with one each month, don't get me wrong its a good in many ways, but autofocus, its metering, and far to many buttons and functions make it far harder to use quickly, instinctivly and decisively. So as a consequence I stick to simple cameras for all my film work.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Ian. The older Leicas weren't as easy to load as most cameras, but one could learn to do it by feel. Lenses could be changed by feel. So could shutter speeds and apertures. Even the focusing could be approximately set without ever looking at the camera. As another company said about a different product, "It fits in your hand like the hand of a friend."

Despite this, I still often use the Nikon F for economy and versatility. Many camera systems have been planned to keep up with the competition. The Nikon F was engineered to be the best system for many years to come.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the fact that on my Olympus SLRs, the shutter speed, the focus and the aperture all have controls that can be operated with little or no adjustment of the position of either hand.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, I agree with your opinion on the Leica. But I find my EOS bodies to be easier for me to use quickly and instinctively. All those controls confuse initially until you realize no one ever needs to use them all. You set the camera up for the way you want to use it and never change it. Basically, for me, I use the camera in manual mode with a handheld meter or aperture priority with evaluative metering and bracket in half-stops. I use the autofocus like I do the rangefinder patch on my Leicas--I focus using the center sensor and recompose. It's simple to me.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion and personal preference. What works for me is unlikely to work the same for anyone else.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like a camera that is heavy, well built and simple to use. The older the better. Something that makes the plastic toting digi users to take a second look. My F2, FTN and F3 all meet those ideals. I started with a bells and whistles Pentax and found I either shot lots of useless frames or missed good shots while messing around with all the controls.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Guys, Try to be more specific on the features you like..

A friend of mine really liked the mechanical timers on cameras.. you know the lever in the front that you turn 90 degrees to enable the slef-timer. he hated the blinking or beeping timers.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin